Religious Extremism

fredtosser

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Religion is a deeply personal thing and nobody should be allowed to belittle others for their faith, not least those with utmost faith in science. However, the island's Living Hope Community Church come across as a scary bunch of Americanised cultish whackos, and I feel quite uncomfortable that any of their members should be given unsupervised access to primary school children, even if that access is on the face of it distinct from the activities of their peculiar church. It doesn't seem right somehow. Perhaps they are a harmless organisation, but I wouldn't want anyone I know to join it.

Religion is a deeply personal thing and nobody should be allowed to belittle others for their faith,

And what should be the sanction? This is the free speech thing that people have recently died for. Why should belief in a religion have a special unchallengeable status? Especially when it is discriminatory in that it affords some religions more reverence than others. It has the effect of perpetuating some of the more unsavoury aspects and myths of these beliefs. Believe what you will but don't expect to have it respected as fact.

And what should be the sanction? This is the free speech thing that people have recently died for. Why should belief in a religion have a special unchallengeable status? Especially when it is discriminatory in that it affords some religions more reverence than others. It has the effect of perpetuating some of the more unsavoury aspects and myths of these beliefs. Believe what you will but don't expect to have it respected as fact.

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't what I meant to convey, allowed is far too strong. Encouraged, particularly on a personal level, is more my point and simply my opinion. But obviously I don't apply that to an organised body like this odd church. Or any religious organisation come to that, most of which exist to expand membership.

Religion is a deeply personal thing...

So why is there this ever present need among all the "main stream" cults to try and convert non-believers?

Religion is like a dick...its fine to have one, and you can do what you like with it in the privacy of your own space...but if you wave it in my face dont be surprised if it gets cut of (or laughed at)

Religion is a deeply personal thing and nobody should be allowed to belittle others for their faith, not least those with utmost faith in science

Irrespective of what you went on to say, this is one of the big problems with religion. Another is expecting special treatment because you have faith.

As someone else said, it's a private matter but expect criticism if you have decided to do something, or want others to do something, for reasons not based on reason and logic but (your) faith.

At least science has always been open to reason and logic. Religion has thrown reason and logic out of the window.

Religion is a deeply personal thing and nobody should be allowed to belittle others for their faith, not least those with utmost faith in science

Irrespective of what you went on to say, this is one of the big problems with religion. Another is expecting special treatment because you have faith.

Absolutely "spot on" , I do get a bit brassed off with this "positive discrimination" in favour of these " acknowledged religious faiths" allowing some to circumvent legislation which is enforceable on those with no "recognised" 'faith' .

Why is it that when those of an acknowledged faith , when prosecuted for breaking the law can claim that they are a devout 'whatever' and should be dealt with leniently ? ( and it seems to work ....... all this "born again" cobblers ).

The fact that some may claim to hold a religious faith has not , in the past, guaranteed that they are law abiding citizens .

"Positive discrimination " isn't positive it's plain old 'discrimination'.

Rant overflowers.gif

Many moons ago as an impoverished student I work for my local council during the summer holiday as event staff. One event was one of these born again get together things like you see it that video. It was terrifying, myself and my fellow colleagues resorted to hiding under the pull out bench seating in the sports hall it was being held in. The amount of cash flowing into the baskets was impressive and the noise of that carbon copy credit card thing (there's something you don't see anymore) was pretty constant. I have to admit that as a silly nineteen year old, after being asked one too many time if I believed in the God I snapped and told the person asking that I was actually a satanist. I was asked to leave the premises shortly after, I was happy to get out of there.

As someone else said, it's a private matter but expect criticism if you have decided to do something, or want others to do something, for reasons not based on reason and logic but (your) faith.

At least science has always been open to reason and logic. Religion has thrown reason and logic out of the window.

Yes I agree with you. Religion was a poor word to use for what I meant, religion tends to be an agenda driven organisation. What I really mean is a belief in God (or Gods) is a deeply personal thing. I think science has no mandate to challenge that unless of course it is in response to attempts at theological imposition.

Yes. I only part company with that when reason and logic go beyond their own current scope to catgorically deny the basis for religion. We simply do not know enough to make that leap and be certain on these matters.

Many moons ago as an impoverished student I work for my local council during the summer holiday as event staff. One event was one of these born again get together things like you see it that video. It was terrifying, myself and my fellow colleagues resorted to hiding under the pull out bench seating in the sports hall it was being held in. The amount of cash flowing into the baskets was impressive and the noise of that carbon copy credit card thing (there's something you don't see anymore) was pretty constant. I have to admit that as a silly nineteen year old, after being asked one too many time if I believed in the God I snapped and told the person asking that I was actually a satanist. I was asked to leave the premises shortly after, I was happy to get out of there.

That video was a little disturbing.

I often wonder when I see this type of thing is it really as you say above? Money. And getting to shag a load of gullible birds .

Archived