Construction site opposite Spring Valley

llap

It does appear there is a mass exodus of retailers and financial companies out of Douglas and into the surrounding areas. Probably something to do with the ridiculously high rental prices. It's cheaper in the long run to literally go and build your own building.

What mass exodus?
Rileys (from the Quay)

Manx Telecom (from Ridgeway St)

Zurich (from Athol Street)

RL360 (from Athol Street)

Conister Trust (from Finch Road)

Douglas Corporation (from Douglas)

Ocean Ford (from the Quay)

Nordea Life (from Athol street)

Bibby Group (from Peel Road)

The Red Cross (from Derby Road)

And RBS from (Victoria Street).

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does appear there is a mass exodus of retailers and financial companies out of Douglas and into the surrounding areas. Probably something to do with the ridiculously high rental prices. It's cheaper in the long run to literally go and build your own building.

What mass exodus?
Rileys (from the Quay)

Sorry and I forgot

Haldane Fisher (from the Quay)

The Post Sorting Office (from Circular Road)

So that's 12 businesses that used to be in Douglas just in that one collection of estates by B & Q.

If central Douglas was predominantly retail, residential and leisure, I think a lot of its traffic and parking problems would be reduced.

If a business doesn't need a presence in central Douglas - because the public don't need to walk in off the street - then I'm quite happy for it to move out to a business park, or to another part of the Island. I agree that it is regrettable that retail outlets are moving out - I guess the rot started when they gave planning permission for Curry's and Pet World to build out of town.

.I guess Manx Telecom have reached a good compromise by moving their office staff out but retaining the shop in Strand Street.

What mass exodus?
Rileys (from the Quay)

RBS haven't left Victory House to go out of town really. They have a load of other buildings to house non customer facing staff. Both in town and up by the old prison.

Plus RBS as the business once was doesn't really exisr anymore.

It makes sense for certain types of business to move out of town. It's no different in the UK really.

When did Ocean Ford move from the Quay?

I think it refers to their original presence at the old EB Christian's Bridge Garage where Quay West now stands.

Archived