Puffing Billy at Jurby Hilton

Manx Bean

The problem with the policy was always the combination of straightforward thinking, i.e. smoking is not a right, it is a bad habit that has a detrimental impact on the health of smokers and non-smokers who are subjected to it and therefore should not be permitted in custody, with wishy-washy liberal thinking, i.e. the prisoners will not like it; it will cause them discomfort and therefore we should mitigate the impact of the smoking ban with NRT.

The result of this wishy-washy liberal thinking was the imposition of a prohibition that was not easily enforceable and making it far less likely that offenders would have opportunity to break their nicotine addiction whilst in prison. The reason for this was the re-introduction of nicotine into the prison regime via nicotine patches. This was a fundamentally flawed policy that saw to it that prisoners were given the opportunity to maintain their nicotine addiction whilst simply removing their preferred method of administering it. It is not surprising, therefore, that prisoners sought to use the nicotine in the patches to put into other smoking materials so they could keep on smoking. Added to this is the suggestion that staff in the prison were unwilling or unable to rigidly enforce the tobacco ban. The apparent failure of the no-smoking policy has little to do with the sense behind the original idea (and I applaud those that had the courage to try and implement it) and much more to do with the way that policy was put in place and the failure to get a grip of the fundamental problem. It should never have been a smoking ban but a nicotine ban.

Of course, any policy that requires it to be enforced on people who are basically unwilling to accept it is not going to be without its problems but overcoming these problems is the task of those that manage and run the prison, for which they are paid handsomely. The introduction of e-cigarettes is just the latest in a series of feeble compromises which proves nothing more than the lack of resolve and courage to see the policy through.

For those that will say that a complete nicotine ban is impossible, read up on the policy implemented in California State Prisons in 2005. The policy is still in place, without e-cigarettes. It can be done and should have been possible in our little prison. The only things lacking here are resolve and courage, as I said before.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty liberal but I'd object to a heroin or crack addict sharing their second hand toot smoke or needle with me, why should anyone be subjected to vile plumes of nicotine infested smog? Prison guards have rights too.

I'm looking forward to being able to have a nice legal 'toot' from my prison cell thanks to Bungalow Bill. Lack of nicotine makes me feel not well. It's great that we have such a progressive Island with progressives like Bill looking after our beloved lags. One day we will all be reformed and be back to being Pully voters.

@ joebean:

Good post. And the same wishy washy methods are responsible for the state of prisons elsewhere too. If you let the inmates do as they like they will take over. The staff are afraid of them. They are untouchable. That is what they have done in many places and it has led to riots and total breakdown of order.

These places should be run under harsh military style regimes. They do as they are told and woe betide them if they step out of line. It's not a holiday camp.

the only time i use a nicotine inhaler is on planes otherwise i smoke homegrown tobacco, cost around £2 a kg. on a recent medical my lung where clear, the docs couldn't believe i smoked

buy the prison a greenhouse and they could save a fortune.....

the only time i use a nicotine inhaler is on planes otherwise i smoke homegrown tobacco, cost around £2 a kg. on a recent medical my lung where clear, the docs couldn't believe i smoked

But if you didn't you might have more than one.

I'm looking forward to being able to have a nice legal 'toot' from my prison cell thanks to Bungalow Bill. Lack of nicotine makes me feel not well. It's great that we have such a progressive Island with progressives like Bill looking after our beloved lags. One day we will all be reformed and be back to being Pully voters.

I'm sure there are a number of posters here who will also look forward to the time when you have a legal toot in your prison cell.

I'm sure there are a number of posters here who will also look forward to the time when you have a legal toot in your prison cell.

Hand bags at dawn from another sad clown.

A small bag of cheap make up, a box of Silk Cut and a gold lighter, an unusual stick, some stamps, a small black feather, the da Vinci code by Dan brown and some raisins.

And a SIG P210.

Archived