DHSC - MHK Resignation!

notwell

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obviously about the abortion issue. If that's the case fair play to him

Well no. This is what I was trying to say before.

If he felt so strongly about something, and of course he knew what he was talking about - not just whining for the sake of it, he would have used persuasion and structured argument.

As it is he has lost the argument. He has failed you, by piqueing and shouting all over social meeja with as much dignity as can be mustered from the gutter.

Well no. This is what I was trying to say before.

If he felt so strongly about something, and of course he knew what he was talking about - not just whining for the sake of it, he would have used persuasion and structured argument.

As it is he has lost the argument. He has failed you, by piqueing and shouting all over social meeja with as much dignity as can be mustered from the gutter.

I agree with you here and let's face it; he apparently resigned on the 9th March and nobody noticed. So then he put something on facebook saying he resigned and then some people in the media noticed. If it's on the abortion issue he should stay so. But like you I think that resigning after 4 months in a role just shows that you have no ability to influence and can't structure an argument. There is no need to resign on a point of principle somsoon as that's just admitting that you don't have the guts for a fight and in fact it's plain defeatist.

Yes he might actually go up in my estimation if it is about the apparently deceitful and shameful way Beecroft has dealt with the abortion issue.

'Jack Carter' has been very quiet today.

Not at all I was simply doing some digging before I commented here that it's great to see Callister admit that he can't hack a proper job with proper responsibilities for more than a few months. Entirely predictable. Also predictable that the announcement was all about HIM and not really about much else. Can't sit on the DHSC, can't even manage sending letters out at the DED without causing a major incident either. Can manage to get his smug mug in the papers at any and every opportunity though.

No less pay and less work. Winner - more time to pen 'I'm so busy' blog

From his manifesto

Getting the balance right between delivering a first class healthservice that actually meets our needs and living up to people's expectations isn't going

to be easy,especially when costs across all sectors within the health service

appear to be rising, and at a time when all departmental budgets are

continually coming under greater scrutiny by Treasury,who are looking to

reduce overall budgets across all Government Departments.

The Department of Health and Social Care must therefore increase efficiency across all sectors, make savings, ensure funding is not being unnecessarily wasted,along with considering using alternative medicines and delivery methods going forward. In reality that it isn't going be easy either,as the level of service required across the Island changes hourly,daily and weekly.

However i read it as him saying i disagree with decision to go out to tender and award to someone other than bridgewater but not prepared to say so until comcabs fuck it up and i can then say i told you so.

He's probably on page 3 of his media course. We'll no doubt hear ALL about it when he gets to page 5.

My worry is that his reasons are so woolly that he's now sat at home weighing up what is the biggest public sympathy winner as he hasn't explained the exact reason why he resigned. Abortion / Bridgewater Cabs / Abortion / Bridgewater Cabs / Abortion ....... etc

Gut feeling is that most Onchan grannies won't support the abortion proposals, but do have an interest in what taxi they get when they're in Liverpool having their piles and varicose veins done on the NHS so it will be Bridgewater cabs. Although he might well cite both and hedge his bets for maximum effect.

[...] let's face it; he apparently resigned on the 9th March and nobody noticed. So then he put something on facebook saying he resigned and then some people in the media noticed.

The media were presumably relying on on the press release from the approved official source:

The Council of Ministers has accepted the resignation of Rob Callister MHK from the Department of Health and Social Care for personal reasons. As one of the Department's political members, he shared responsibilities for hospital services, public health and the Island's drug and alcohol strategy with the Minister Kate Beecroft MHK.
Mr Callister will continue to serve as a Member of the Department for Economic Development where he has responsibility for tourism, hospitality, motorsport and the construction sector.

I hope you're not accusing them of committing actual journalism, are you? Stu will be threatening to call up his black ops squad, or, even more disreputable, his lawyers. For some reason it looks like they either mislaid Callister's letter, or were trying to dissuade him.

The real question here is not why Callister resigned (I'm not convinced that either reason guessed so far is correct) but why he accepted the position in the first place. As some of us pointed out last Autumn, assigning most backbenchers to two departments meant that they ended up with ridiculous numbers of departmental members and seemed mainly to be done to make sure there was a guaranteed majority, whatever the topic. It always looked like his 'real' Department was DED and the DHSC post was just to make up numbers. I would have thought more backbenchers would have realised that this was an attempt to nobble them and just concentrated on one.

He's probably on page 3 of his media course. We'll no doubt hear ALL about it when he gets to page 5.

My worry is that his reasons are so woolly that he's now sat at home weighing up what is the biggest public sympathy winner as he hasn't explained the exact reason why he resigned. Abortion / Bridgewater Cabs / Abortion / Bridgewater Cabs / Abortion ....... etc

Gut feeling is that most Onchan grannies won't support the abortion proposals, but do have an interest in what taxi they get when they're in Liverpool having their piles and varicose veins done on the NHS so it will be Bridgewater cabs. Although he might well cite both and hedge his bets for maximum effect.

It has nothing to do with a Government Policy

Archived