Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Local media were very quiet about this...

DSC_0035~2.JPG

so if you're on medical cannabis all the things that make you unsafe to drive on non  medical cannabis suddenly don't matter ???    it seems like the legality of drug use is what decides whether you're fit to drive with X amount of whatever happy pill is in your system. ????  thats got to be bullshit if ever there was.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Surely driving while impaired is still an offence, regardless of the source of whatever drug.

But those prosecuted in the last 15 months (well over 100) haven't been done for driving while impaired.  They've been done for having more than the required level of a particular drug in their bloodstream, whether that level had any effect on them (or anyone else) or not.  In the past a doctor was required to certify impairment, now it seems a doctor's prescription proves they couldn't have been. 

It doesn't make much sense, but virtue-signalling laws rarely do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

so if you're on medical cannabis all the things that make you unsafe to drive on non  medical cannabis suddenly don't matter ???    it seems like the legality of drug use is what decides whether you're fit to drive with X amount of whatever happy pill is in your system. ????  thats got to be bullshit if ever there was.

This is the problem with the current law.  A regular user can have quite a high level in their system but have zero driving impairment, the fact we have removed the impairment factor in all cases but this one is very telling.

• Like 1

The good old USA generally have to fail a sobriety test before they take a sample ie walk the line,touch your nose, follow the pen (with the eyes, not like throw it and bring it back) even if they smell it on you. Same for drugs 

Edited by Dirty Buggane

51 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The good old USA generally have to fail a sobriety test before they take a sample ie walk the line,touch your nose, follow the pen (with the eyes, not like throw it and bring it back) even if they smell it on you. Same for drugs 

That’s not correct. However it’s a state thing, rather than federal thing.

In the USA most states have both roadside alcohol testing and breathalyser/intoximeter and blood testing.

Anyone driving over 0.8 ( our 80ug ) is deemed to be driving illegally. However, blow a 0.7 and fail a field sobriety test and you’re impaired and still convicted.

19 states have drug drive laws where driving with a measurable amount of drugs above a specified limit deems you unfit to drive by impairment. Just like here. All the other states conduct field sobriety/intoxication tests.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s not correct. However it’s a state thing, rather than federal thing.

In the USA most states have both roadside alcohol testing and breathalyser/intoximeter and blood testing.

Anyone driving over 0.8 ( our 80ug ) is deemed to be driving illegally. However, blow a 0.7 and fail a field sobriety test and you’re impaired and still convicted.

John, does the current law allow a 2 microgram limit in the blood if the driver has a prescription?

14 minutes ago, cissolt said:

John, does the current law allow a 2 microgram limit in the blood if the driver has a prescription?

There’s a defence with low level, but positive, readings, if you have a prescription and you are using the drug in accordance with the prescription and any medical advice you have been given ( including the drug information leaflet in the box which almost always warns about driving and operating heavy machinery ) unless your driving was impaired.

so a high reading will probably mean not using as prescribed, a prescription months old indicates not using in accordance, crossing white lines, accident, weaving, sudden braking, no lights ( in dark ) also indicate impairment and negates.

Ive come across all of those, and there have been defences run and lost on high readings and 6 month old prescriptions.

My biggest worry, and the right case hasn’t yet come along, is that the stop has to be “just cause” fair and reasonable, not just random.

Most cases I see start with the disclosure that the arresting officers ( who are frequently in a parked or travelling car ) smelled a strong scent of cannabis emanating from the arrested persons car as it drove past.

I not only have my doubts, but it’s against College of Policing guidelines/training to claim smelled cannabis as a stop vehicle justification.

If the stop is illegal the evidence gathered may be tainted and not useable.

https://www.college.police.uk/app/stop-and-search 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

My biggest worry, and the right case hasn’t yet come along, is that the stop has to be “just cause” fair and reasonable, not just random.

Most cases I see start with the disclosure that the arresting officers ( who are frequently in a parked or travelling car ) smelled a strong scent of cannabis emanating from the arrested persons car as it drove past.

I not only have my doubts, but it’s against College of Policing guidelines/training to claim smelled cannabis as a stop vehicle justification.

Are you sure? I've seen a few cases where a car has been stopped and then found to be smelling of cannabis. And one TT in one of those inevitable traffic queues, a guy decided to while away the wait with a joint and wound his window down when police walked by. But I've never heard of a car being stopped because it drove by and cannabis was smelt by stationary police. It can happen of course, I s'pose.

Edited by Barlow

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Are you sure? I've seen a few cases where a car has been stopped and then found to be smelling of cannabis. And one TT in one of those inevitable traffic queues, a guy decided to while away the wait with a joint and wound his window down when police walked by. But I've never heard of a car being stopped because it drove by and cannabis was smelt by stationary police. It can happen of course, I s'pose.

Yes. Those cases happen. The majority where I’ve had disclosure are as I outline.

one was “sensed” by a police officer on a motorbike, presumably wearing a crash helmet as mandated.

Perhaps before we call for some drug taking changes, we should call for a reform of the Drug Driving instances? It does seem to be out of kilter with the Drink Driving equivalents?

The fines 'seem' to heavier than drink charges, the evidence and research into drug impairment is up for debate.

Why are drug driving stops / convictions more severe? Is it ''because we can''? Because it's a new law that the Police have to seen to pursue?

There should probably be more research into this?

As an aside, the American 'sobriety' tests, especially when carried out in full public view, could probab;y be challenged under Human Rights leg. over here???

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes. Those cases happen. The majority where I’ve had disclosure are as I outline.

one was “sensed” by a police officer on a motorbike, presumably wearing a crash helmet as mandated.

Well it is not impossible. On a motorbike there is little doubt that your senses can be heightened. I remember being taught that if you suddenly smell say, new mown grass there is a possibility of a tractor round the next corner. When I gave up smoking I could often smell smoke from the car in front, even with a full face helmet.

Do people not realise how potent cannabis is? 100% you can smell it from passing cars. Just yesterday I was walking down Christian Road and a car drove past me and I smelt cannabis coming from it. Not a car but was in the co op a few weeks back bloke and his mate came in utterly reeking if weed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1