Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

The Chief Constable thinks so.  The usual bulging eyed, purple faced suspects will be foaming at the mouth no doubt, but the big voices are gradually getting louder. Unusual timing for this, coming so soon after the Chief Minister's limp, plus ça change, nothing to see here pronouncement on the subject yesterday. Coincidence? Maybe. 

I was unaware of Durham Constabulary's approach until now. The whole thing is simply farcical. From link - 

He cited the example of Durham Constabulary, which doesn’t prosecute anyone for drugs possession and will take no action against people who grow small amounts of cannabis for their own use.

It’s a move aimed at cutting costs, keeping users out of criminal justice system and focusing resources on organised crime.

Edited by La Colombe

23 minutes ago, 2bees said:

If they changed the drug laws, what would they do with the prison?

perhaps offer a part of it to house the 'homeless' ?

Edit to add ..... could never understand why the old prison was not used to provide accommodation for TT /MGP visitors and perhaps the  'homeless' during the winter until the site was on the point of being redeveloped.

Just saying:flowers:

Edited by paswt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paswt said:

perhaps offer a part of it to house the 'homeless' ?

Edit to add ..... could never understand why the old prison was not used to provide accommodation for TT /MGP visitors and perhaps the  'homeless' during the winter until the site was on the point of being redeveloped.

Just saying:flowers:

Same could be said about the old folks home at the top of Victoria Road

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is certainly about time IOMG opened their minds to the possibility that knowledge and attitudes may have changed from when the current laws were first enacted.

There are plenty of jurisdictions around the world that have legalised Cannabis; perhaps if we were to point out to the MHK’s that there will be plenty of opportunities for fact finding trips to California and the like the CM may become more receptive to the idea?

• Thanks 1

Financial crime? No such thing, it's all totally 100% legal and above board - just send that invoice to your mate upstairs, make a loan to your other company - write off f'in millions, who cares? Do not ever dare smoke pot or take an e though, don't dare.

3 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Financial crime? No such thing, it's all totally 100% legal and above board - just send that invoice to your mate upstairs, make a loan to your other company - write off f'in millions, who cares? Do not ever dare smoke pot or take an e though, don't dare.

Now you're getting it...:cool:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so. 16 years on from portugal decriminalising drugs and we find not a state and a people in ruins but a place boasting the lowest rate of drug related deaths in europe. a tenth of britains rate. a fiftieth of the united states rate. and a 300% reduction in the number of heroin addicts. bad news for portugese lawyers and prison officers i suppose, but on the whole, hard to argue with. https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/brazils-latest-outbreak-of-drug-gang-violence-highlights-the-real-culprit-the-war-on-drugs/

• Like 3

There has been a pattern but "statistics can be twisted and our contexts aren't realistic". I am still astounded (as an ex smoker of weed and fags) that I can buy the seriously mind & metabolism altering chemical nicotine freely in the shops but I'd be arrested for growing a plant that is not addictive and might actually be good (you know? Like for example GWPharma are making medicine that is effective & not as addictive or damaging as popular meds) absolute madness. I hate smokers they're nothing more than selfish scummy junkies, that is how it is. No pity from me lol. 

And as for vaporisers... sake.

Edited by thebees
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

so. 16 years on from portugal decriminalising drugs and we find not a state and a people in ruins but a place boasting the lowest rate of drug related deaths in europe. a tenth of britains rate. a fiftieth of the united states rate. and a 300% reduction in the number of heroin addicts. bad news for portugese lawyers and prison officers i suppose, but on the whole, hard to argue with. https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/brazils-latest-outbreak-of-drug-gang-violence-highlights-the-real-culprit-the-war-on-drugs/

Bloody foreigners;)

• Haha 1