Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is a farce you're right, but I'd prefer it if people didnt smoke it (or indeed smoke tobacco) next to or in kids parks. From the perspective of a smoker.

But people do smoke tobacco, and drink alcohol, in kids parks. Both vices that are deemed socially acceptable and legal. We need to move with the times and get ahead of the game.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

There's a lot of research going on in the US regarding the use of MDMA as a treatment for PTSD, and psilocybin (magic mushrooms) as a treatment for depression.  Cannabis is effectively legal in some states, with conservative businessmen investing into it to get rich.  UK and IOM will catch on eventually.

i knew peel was bad but......

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think that research into the medical use of drugs such as cannabis and MDMA has been hindered by governments. It seems that there are benefits to be gained in both of those and perhaps others. 

There's no doubt that there will be drawbacks to using recreational drugs but would decriminalising or legalising them lead to more people using them? If you really want to use them I'm sure they are all readily available if you look. Surely putting a tiny fraction of the money wasted in trying to fight a war on drugs into information and education programmes would reap much greater benefits for all concerned? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

.............and when you consider the side effect of the prescription drugs I take just to stay alive then I can't believe that the side effects of cannabis are worse..........

There are always potential side effects from all things consumed, you could one day first eat a peanut and die, what we need is the right to choose what side effects we are willing to risk having for the benefits of what we consume. The government have no part to play in this other than to allow legally sold with the health warning that literally anything can happen but that it is hoped that only the best effects and results are experienced......or they could continue what they already do and this is to warn us all about everything.

With regard to keeping it say from children, if you compare it to the demonic bombardment of advertising and marketing we allow our children, as well as some of our own opinions and behaviours,  to be exposed to then seeing a a minority of people smoking a spliff is of negligible concern, unless the children are being forced to do themselves by evil doers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think that research into the medical use of drugs such as cannabis and MDMA has been hindered by governments. It seems that there are benefits to be gained in both of those and perhaps others. 

There's no doubt that there will be drawbacks to using recreational drugs but would decriminalising or legalising them lead to more people using them? If you really want to use them I'm sure they are all readily available if you look. Surely putting a tiny fraction of the money wasted in trying to fight a war on drugs into information and education programmes would reap much greater benefits for all concerned? 

This is an interesting question, and I am not sure of the answer. A few years ago when 'plant food' and other legal highs were around a number of people who would never take an E were into it, I tried pointing out how daft they were but people never listen.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is an interesting question, and I am not sure of the answer. A few years ago when 'plant food' and other legal highs were around a number of people who would never take an E were into it, I tried pointing out how daft they were but people never listen.

Good point, the word 'legal' must have put some sort of seal of approval on the stuff, despite the fact that they were probably worse than ecstacy? 

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

Decriminalise use, then tax and regulate all drugs. Take the profit out of supplying. That is the only way forward. Crime would drop like a stone.

Plus the generated income via tax would go a long way in funding essential services on the Island. My guess is that our elected clots will wait until the UK have legalised it then pay millions in consultancy fees to see if the IOM could follow suit

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Plus the generated income via tax would go a long way in funding essential services on the Island. My guess is that our elected clots will wait until the UK have legalised it then pay millions in consultancy fees to see if the IOM could follow suit

Agreed. The window of opportunity will only shrink. The IOM really need to get in there quickly and 1. enjoy the increased Tourism & 2. enjoy the insane tax benefits