MER tram goes hurtling down the mountain, AGAIN

Tarne

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the distance travelled between electric brakes failing and mechanical brakes cutting in and stopping it is said to be 200yards and in that distance it crossed the road you'd hope the crossing lights were already operating, or had fail safe auto operation?

Just now, John Wright said:

Given the distance travelled between electric brakes failing and mechanical brakes cutting in and stopping it is said to be 200yards and in that distance it crossed the road you'd hope the crossing lights were already operating, or had fail safe auto operation?

I think the crossing lights are triggered by the approach of the tram itself anyway.

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Go on...please :)

I don't understand why people go up there anyway. There's nothing there except a cafe. There are several much nicer cafes down in Laxey. As for the alleged claim that there are days when you can see six kingdoms or whatever, I have yet to go up there on one. Every time I go up there, there is nothing but fog all around. There's a reason the Vikings called it Snow Fell. The tram itself is uncomfortable, often packed full of people, and slow. There's really not much of a view from the windows, except grass and a few sheep. I just don't see the point and would rather stay in Laxey and visit Mother T's or something.

"Ian Longworth, Public Transport Director, is quoted in the Isle of Man Newspapers as saying that the brake failure was irrelevant to the cause of the runaway/derailment." From the report on last year's crash. 

Really makes you wonder what dirt he's got on everyone there that he's still in his job

3 minutes ago, Tarne said:

"Ian Longworth, Public Transport Director, is quoted in the Isle of Man Newspapers as saying that the brake failure was irrelevant to the cause of the runaway/derailment." From the report on last year's crash. 

Really makes you wonder what dirt he's got on everyone there that he's still in his job

He should have been sacked when they had the bus strike fiasco. Strange how they refused Buster's request for info on the Mercedes car eh...:ph34r::ph34r:

Archived