MER tram goes hurtling down the mountain, AGAIN

Tarne

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would totally go on a mountain tram if they guaranteed it would go out of control and hurtle down the mountain like a roller coaster.

In fact...  They should build a special coaster car designed to do that.

Some interesting comments on iomtoday article from people who would purport to have been on the tram at the time.

Either this is being played down by management - or up by those who claim to have been involved.

20 hours ago, rodders said:

Ian Longworth says,"...really aren't out of the ordinary..."

I hope the tourist don't find out.

You mean    " Doesn't " .

1 hour ago, JOE450 said:

Makes you wonder if the old manual brakes are operated by a lever the crew pull on for dear life, easy to fit a modern hydraulic set up on the old brakes. 

From memory they turn a wheel which then clamps brake blocks to the centre rail similar to a bicycle brake setup.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Lots of drama queen stuff here. It stopped in 200 yards. How much "hurtling" could it do?

18 minutes ago, finlo said:

From memory they turn a wheel which then clamps brake blocks to the centre rail similar to a bicycle brake setup.

i'm surprised it managed to stop in 200 yards considering the state of the centre rail the last time i saw it  ( many years ago )  it was more decorative than functional.

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

......considering the state of the centre rail the last time i saw it  ( many years ago )  it was more decorative than functional.....

Last time I was on the Snaefell tram (admittedly about 6 years ago, so it may have been rectified since then, one would certainly hope), it wasn't even decorative. It was corroded to the point of being moth eaten with some sections actually missing, particularly on the last part of the climb past Agneash to the Bungalow. Hopefully it has been improved since then though.

hasn't anyone noticed all the rail replacement which has been going on for the last couple of years (winters) ? there was enough moaning about how much it was costing for new rails

...and presumably it didn't gather speed for 200m, but maybe stopped in 200m

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

...... I've often wondered what stops the Fell rail sliding in the cups when the brake is clamped to it..............sorry, I sometimes get these feelings.............lol

Because several miles of rail would need to slide?

Archived