MER tram goes hurtling down the mountain, AGAIN

Tarne

36 minutes ago, gettafa said:

DAVID ANDERSON MLC stand in Minister, on Manx Radio:

"blah, blah blah,...and see if there are lessons can be learned"

Mr Anderson you are the biggest cretin of all cretins. You were the same when you were Health Minister you are the same now.

Mealy mouthed cretin.

The second biggest example of why the Legislative Council needs to be dumped.

the lesson to be learnt is that you have to spend money on proper maintenance and not leave it till it breaks ( or not in this case )

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bloodycomeover said:

word travels fast about these kinds of issues in the communities likely to travel to the island to see and use the trams, and they will want reassurance. 

Where are these communities, out of interest? How does word travel between them?

I had a look on the world of crazy that is Tripadvisor and there is no mention so far.

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

Where are these communities, out of interest? How does word travel between them?

I had a look on the world of crazy that is Tripadvisor and there is no mention so far.

Good question. Any company that organises packaged tours? Cruise companies, coach companies, independent travellers googling more than trip adviser.

49 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's something for the Island to get excited about for a couple of weeks, Pongo. Christ knows what they did for amusement before FB came along.

37 minutes ago, quilp said:

So they wanted a maximum 8mph and could only slow it down to 12mph.

Not good.

As the cars do not have speedometers ( or did not until recently) how would they know.

If the rheostatic  brakes fail on that gradient i doubt it makes one jot of difference if your doing 8 or 12mph anyhow.

11 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

As the cars do not have speedometers ( or did not until recently) how would they know.

.. You do know there are other ways to determine speed than via a speedometer right? :P

Speed = Distance / Time

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Providing all three of the separate braking systems have not failed then it would stop, eventually

At the bottom?

Interesting to read some of the claims in the comments on iomtoday that (some of?) the trams have previously had grafted into them some sort of rheostat braking system sourced from an antique Belgian tramway. So perhaps efforts already had been made to upgrade the braking systems. I don't know of any mountain operated Belgian trams though...meaning that even that may not have been up to the job?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

At the bottom?

Interesting to read some of the claims in the comments on iomtoday that (some of?) the trams have previously had grafted into them some sort of rheostat braking system sourced from an antique Belgian tramway. So perhaps efforts already had been made to upgrade the braking systems. I don't know of any mountain operated Belgian trams though...meaning that even that may not have been up to the job?

Sounds like a walooney contraption to me.

Archived