We are Saved - The Airport Gateway To The Rescue!

Manx Bean

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, notwell said:

So how much is a trailer ?

Guessing now as I have been out of the trade for about 2 years, but I think a 13 mtr trailer ( about 32+ tons) is about £2000 return.

I think it varies Co to Co (for some reason) depending on the total volume of traffic, ( No of trailers)

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually that sounds about right.  Presumably the first price was for freight while the second was after explaining it was just personal effects (ie not for resale or for use in trade).

That's actually what happened, but asking at the front about this was met with rudeness and disinterest.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Max, you know better than that.

The SPCo is a private company and as such is required to make a profit, just the same as your garage is.

What the Isle of Man Government and other private companies do to promote and run their enterprises is absolutely F all to do with the Steamy.

If they cannot compete with similar attractions across, their is no point blaming the SPCo.

We somehow need to sell what WE have, not some copy of successful enterprises over there. Where are all the clever people these days?

Yeah, you're right, not in the Government. There lies the problem.

Just look at who we have as "leaders". Scary.

I agree, mile for mile and all that but their 'peak' fares and capacity are certainly having an effect on the island's ability to expand tourism. Chickens and eggs etc.

1 hour ago, notwell said:

Steam Packet passenger travel pricing is fine anyway.

As long as you can book far enough in advance, which for a 'lifeline' service is a bit of a bugger!

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The freight firms are doing just fine. Believe me.

Yes, they pass it on to their customers. If you try to book a car unaccompanied it would make your pips squeak for example.

As a pure cynic, particularly where the SPCO are concerned the facts are that they charge as much as they can get. The offers they sing about are set by them, i.e. the advert for 900,000 offers seats, compared to what, another price they set ? The useless 5 day return offer, at least useless to most who want to go on holiday, at the height of season try booking a cottage somewhere for three days, being able to take advantage of the 5 day offer ! 

The dichotomy for me, I always enjoy travelling with the packet, the staff have always been fine to me, but the fact that the company is an avaricious investment vehicle for a Portuguese Bank brings us nicely back to the subject of this thread, the inability of the IOM Government to run the Island for the benefit of its residents and not to keep making huge mistakes in all aspects of service provision from the private sector !

Archived