New Rules

ans

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I know of no better place to discuss things with a wide-ish community of people.  Facebook seems to me a useless medium to do this, but I admit I've not much experience of it.  The forum's ability to quote and have wide ranging discussions about multi-layered subjects where it is reasonably easy to follow the different currents of the discussion is to me unparalleled.  

Closing down new entrants is an incredibly draconian and will be the Forum's death knell if it is maintained for too long.

Isn't a better system some sort of real identity registration so you can genuinely perma-ban disruptive people, and hence the threat of behave or go can have real meaning?

3 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I know of no better place to discuss things with a wide-ish community of people.  Facebook seems to me a useless medium to do this, but I admit I've not much experience of it.  The forum's ability to quote and have wide ranging discussions about multi-layered subjects where it is reasonably easy to follow the different currents of the discussion is to me unparalleled.  

Closing down new entrants is an incredibly draconian and will be the Forum's death knell if it is maintained for too long.

Isn't a better system some sort of real identity registration so you can genuinely perma-ban disruptive people, and hence the threat of behave or go can have real meaning?

Sounds a sensible idea China. FB appears to be a "real identity" registration and that works. Of course you will always get a minority who will attempt to create fake profiles.

Good idea ans,  now let’s try to get back to proper informed debate sometimes with the odd chuckle thrown in but some on here seem just to have there own personal vendettas which needs to stop otherwise the whole site loses credibility and you’ll  lose reasonable posters for the fear of being continually being attacked.

2 hours ago, ans said:

By all means argue, debate and disagree, but cut out all the personal shit, the pointless and vindictive attacks on other members and non-members alike. 

These Forums are nothing as compared to BC Forums of BowlandCentral.com.   There are some Members of that Forums that go were more Over the Top than anything I have seen here.

3X3

42 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I know of no better place to discuss things with a wide-ish community of people.  Facebook seems to me a useless medium to do this, but I admit I've not much experience

I was wondering whether anyone ever changed their opinion about anything because of anything that was ever posted here. And mostly I don’t feel that we are achieving much here.

And then I remembered that I more or less shifted my view on climate change partly because of your persistence. And because, especially over the past few years, I started to map a clear connection between what people thought about that specific issue and the opinions they expressed about a whole range of other political and economic issues.

Archived