Alice Cooper 1 June 2006

Lou Reed 8 June 2006

Whitesnake 9 June 2009

Kaiser Chiefs 26 June 2009

Bryan Adams 20 Ja 2010

Morrissey 1 Aug 2011

Blondie 19 June 2013

Quite a few missing from that list...

And Free, 1970(?). Mott the Hoople many times during the 70s. When Mott did their 2nd show, one of the two automatons placed either side of the stage caught fire. Nobody dropped a beat as the CO2 fire extinguisher briefly enveloped the stage like dry ice. Some people thought it was part of the show. One of my faves was Welsh band Budgie, who were by far the loudest band after Slade.

All the pop bands appeared. Bay City Rollers, Tavares, Real Thing, Sweet Sensation. Best of them all were the Rubettes. All of them accomplished multi-instrumental session-players who swapped instruments all night. One little trick was throwing their guitars high across the stage to one another. Vocally brilliant too.

Ian Gillan Band. Interviewed by a very young Mike Reynolds for MR before the sound check. Stunning, is the only word I can use to describe their set.

Dr.Feelgood. The original line up, with Big Figure on the kit and the mad-eyed Wilco Johnson. Lee Brilleux in the bolero jacket once worn by Marilyn Monroe. He still had that when they came to the Villa (89?) I had the pleasure of being in the support band G.A.S.P. The aftershow party was a proper blast.

Curved Air, 1975? with a young and loud Stewart Copeland on the kit and super sultry Sonia Kristina on vocals.

So many bands came here during our golden years. Plenty of good times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Focus, 10 minute, searing version of 'Sylvia.' Pilot, first band I'd seen with two drummers playing in tight and showy unison, amazing, played 'January' twice to everyone's delight. Mister Big, er... Heavy Metal Kids fronted by ill-fated Gary Holton who played the cheeky cockney in Auf Weidersein Pet. Good singer though. Mungo Jerry, played 'Summertime' twice. Procol Harem, did 50 minutes and left the stage for an eternity to come back and do an extended version of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' as an encore, brought tears to my eyes, so it did. Badfinger, classic Britrock. Hawkwind. Crap, too far out on Orange Sunrise to be understood, couldn't play 'Silver Machine' without cocking it up. Dreadful, they were canned-off in the end. Smokie, 10cc (faultless musicianship, impressive light show for the era) all at the height of their fame. Cozy Powell, what more can be said about Cozy? The manic and deafening drum solo 'Dance with the Devil' rattled a few chest cavities that night. His twin bass drums disrupting cardiac rhythm. Think I had middle c tinnitus from his snare for hours after. Ace... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Teapot. Confession time (sort of). I got talking to Quill after their first or second time here. They were walking along the Collonnade after their gig. When I mentioned I was local they asked if I could get them a gig the following year too. I was a bit pissed and I suppose I was playing the local hero dude, and telling them what a great band they were (well I was charmed by the singer lass) "Ah yeah, I can talk to whoever organises these things, you might even get a residency each TT". Now I spoke to no one about that ever. But it happened. 10 years or so of it. Still, got to say they were always popular.

10 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Quite a few missing from that list...

I saw Darts at the Lido. I thought the singer Rita Ray did wonders for  racial relations on the Isle of Man. That might sound odd, but you could probably count the amount of black people living here on one hand. Most of us had never seen a black person except on TV. IoM was so far behind the time. That and Den Hegarty the bass singer, disappearing and then reappearing on the top of the speaker stack, which was a good 10 foot high. His gooning about popularised the band but the rest were apparently a bit sick of him and just wanted to be serious musicians.

10 hours ago, quilp said:

When Mott did their 2nd show, one of the two automatons placed either side of the stage caught fire. Nobody dropped a beat as the CO2 fire extinguisher briefly enveloped the stage like dry ice. Some people thought it was part of the show. 

A perfect Spinal Tap moment.

Edited by gettafa

Trying to think of some that have not already been mentioned, I saw most of the bands in the 70's and 80's...

Marmalade

Edgar Broughton Band

Screaming Lord Sutch

Osibisa

Shakatak

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel

Thin Lizzy

Mungo Jerry

John Coghlan and Diesel with Rick Wakeman

Sounds Incorporated

Hot Chocolate (Peveril)

The Tremeloes