More argy Bargy over social housing rents

hissingsid

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Speaking of argy bargy within social housing affairs....ructions and resignations in the Ramsey Commissioners Board as the Lead member for Housing opines that social housing tenants should not be able to stand as Board Chair, due to become vacant.

Commissioner Eric Corkish (a tenant and regular FB ranter) resigns in protest. Where will it end....?! Only in Ramsey....

If only Douglas Corpy would follow suit...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is a stuck up Tory cow who does not think council house tenants worthy of being in such an elevated position as chair of the board.    Eric was foolish to resign because this type of person will just forge ahead with her snobbish ideas.   The people of Ramsey are really not impressed by her and it will end in tears.   How people come to the Isle of Man and progress with there 'when I' attitude it sickens me they want to get the next boat out and disappear, this attitude is prevalent in the north of the island and it needs sorting.

9 hours ago, Neil Down said:
12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Speaking of argy bargy within social housing affairs....ructions and resignations in the Ramsey Commissioners Board as the Lead member for Housing opines that social housing tenants should not be able to stand as Board Chair, due to become vacant.

Commissioner Eric Corkish (a tenant and regular FB ranter) resigns in protest. Where will it end....?! Only in Ramsey....

If only Douglas Corpy would follow suit...

Neil, I'm not sure who you are referring to there. Can you elaborate?

50 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

She is a stuck up Tory cow who does not think council house tenants worthy of being in such an elevated position as chair of the board.    Eric was foolish to resign because this type of person will just forge ahead with her snobbish ideas.   The people of Ramsey are really not impressed by her and it will end in tears.   How people come to the Isle of Man and progress with there 'when I' attitude it sickens me they want to get the next boat out and disappear, this attitude is prevalent in the north of the island and it needs sorting.

or she doesn't think Eric will be able to make strategically impartial decisions over matters such as what the level of rent should be. Turkeys voting for Xmas i think they call it. :whistling:

10 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I've seen a few of erics rants on Facebook and I'm surprised he had the option to resign. Some of the stuff he was saying he should have binned long ago

He has attempted to rescind resignation but has now been advised that it's too late.....conveniently?

16 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So there will be a bye election...he could just stand again a d with the support he has got will probably walk it.

A sad indictment of society that people will be taken in by his latest ridiculous rant and childish behaviour.  The whole thing sounds like nothing other than completely sensible prevention of a conflict of interest which he's now blown massively out of proportion in order to gain some attention.  He's a complete self-publicist but the kind of "tells it like it is" ranter that the facebook politics crew love.

4 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

A sad indictment of society that people will be taken in by his latest ridiculous rant and childish behaviour.  The whole thing sounds like nothing other than completely sensible prevention of a conflict of interest which he's now blown massively out of proportion in order to gain some attention.  He's a complete self-publicist but the kind of "tells it like it is" ranter that the facebook politics crew love.

Sadly that Facebook Group has created and brought to life (and given a disproportionate public platform to) a series of egotistical political Frankenstein’s the IOM would be infinitely better hearing nothing from in future. They’re mostly pushing out feeble populist crap aimed at council tenants and mostly people with fuck all to do for hours and hours a day. If Jeremy Kyle set up a Facebook Group it would basically be an exact clone of James Corrins Group. 

On 5/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, Chef Raekwon said:

The whole thing sounds like nothing other than completely sensible prevention of a conflict of interest

I'm not sure what the legal situation is in the Isle of Man (though I doubt it would be different), but in England it appears that councillors who are tenants of their local authority have been able to get general dispensation to vote on matters relating to council properties since at least the the Local Government Act of 1933.  If you think about it this is sensible, otherwise you could apply the same principle to say that no local authority members who are ratepayers should be allowed to vote on setting the rates.  In both cases a financial benefit is being potentially received.

Obviously this only applies as a general principle, not to more specific benefits.  So if only a few tenants (or ratepayers) were benefiting from something, councillors who happened to belong to that group should not speak or vote on the topic.  

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure what the legal situation is in the Isle of Man (though I doubt it would be different), but in England it appears that councillors who are tenants of their local authority have been able to get general dispensation to vote on matters relating to council properties since at least the the Local Government Act of 1933.  If you think about it this is sensible, otherwise you could apply the same principle to say that no local authority members who are ratepayers should be allowed to vote on setting the rates.  In both cases a financial benefit is being potentially received.

Obviously this only applies as a general principle, not to more specific benefits.  So if only a few tenants (or ratepayers) were benefiting from something, councillors who happened to belong to that group should not speak or vote on the topic.  

Is anyone that bothered? Eric has proven himself to be a total bellend and now he’s resigned. I’d say that was a result. 

On 17 April 2018 at 6:04 AM, yootalkin2me said:

It needs more than income based means testing, they need to identify those that have more than a set income who have no dependant children and evict the greedy feckers to go and rent privately so as to free up the property for families who currently have to rent privately but have an income below the set threshold...simples.

Means testing is needed of course.  There should also be annual means testing too.  
Temporary residents at the address should also be taken into account and included in the means test.  Occupants should be restricted from having more than two children.  Occupants should also be forbidden from taking more than one overseas holiday per year or having a Sky subscription to anything other than the basic package.  How about that?

Archived