Rob Callister

La Colombe

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe the P.O.   Chairman just 'estimated' that it was the cheapest postage in Europe,  like the TT spend per head was up,  that sort of maths.....

They know the spend was up because the price of fares, beer, fuel, food, etc etc have sky rocketed.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The cost of a Tynwald question??? Dear, dear, the cost of democracy! What a total waste of money!!!

This has nothing to do with democracy this took me two seconds to find https://www.iompost.com/uploads/iom-post-price-guide-2018_web.pdf. This info could then be taken to the chair of the post office to say the prices are different. Roger Mexico said in another thread that this should have been written better or an oral question asked at the next available sitting if supplementary questions needed to be asked if all he wanted to do was embarrass his constituency colleague.  As it is the question looks daft and he got an apology on a loosely related subject which no member of the public has seen. 

• Like 3

There is democracy and there is banging on and on about everything and anything like Beecroft does,. I bet if they counted all questions asked in Tynwald for the past two terms she would have rocked up with as many as all the rest of the members put together.   People stop listening when it is a constant moan about everything that is proposed, she is not fit for purpose look at the dreadful mess she made as Minister of Health but she is like a terrier yapping at everything that is proposed, even if it has been voted on and passed unanimously, apart from her.   Then if you think democracy is being served by whining about goats and seagulls etc taking up valuable time when there are far more important matters to be sorted, pension funds, fair rate system, means testing for social housing etc  that is pretty unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There is democracy and there is banging on and on about everything and anything like Beecroft does,. I bet if they counted all questions asked in Tynwald for the past two terms she would have rocked up with as many as all the rest of the members put together.   People stop listening when it is a constant moan about everything that is proposed, she is not fit for purpose look at the dreadful mess she made as Minister of Health but she is like a terrier yapping at everything that is proposed, even if it has been voted on and passed unanimously, apart from her.   Then if you think democracy is being served by whining about goats and seagulls etc taking up valuable time when there are far more important matters to be sorted, pension funds, fair rate system, means testing for social housing etc  that is pretty unbelievable.

I agree with most of that but it’s interesting to note though that in that article I linked to Peter Karran was claimed to have asked 291 questions during 2011. In his former constituency he seems to have been replaced by some MHKs that now ask about 5 daft questions a year so there has to be some balance between the two? How has Onchan’s tally gone from nearly 300 a year to a handful? Are the people being any better or worse represented with so few questions being tabled? Or is Beacroft just trying to set herself up as a poor LV replacement for PK and the voluminous question tally has now moved out to Douglas South instead? 

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_159530.html

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Peter got away with murder because everyone understood his foibles and manner of speech. He rambled. repeated and cliched but despite, the groans, all understood that underlying, there was a question with substance, assisted and researched by others, possibly but there was a truth behind the reasoning.

Kate B does not have that 'understanding', she is a bit of a whiner and this not make her someone to be taken serriously, even though, her questions may have the same depth of insight to those which Peter would ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Just from memory....

I am sure Eddie Teare told Tynwald a few years ago that the figure was around £78 per question 

When it came to anything to do with money I would trust Diane Abbot over Teare.  What he didn't fudge he didn't understand. I well remember his claim that he had "balanced the books" while he had done no such thing.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Rog said:

When it came to anything to do with money I would trust Diane Abbot over Teare.  What he didn't fudge he didn't understand. I well remember his claim that he had "balanced the books" while he had done no such thing.

And exactly why he and Bell jumped ship when they did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Callister and Beecroft, particularly the latter, are from that stable of politicians who believe that simple volume of Tynwald questions will bamboozle their electorate into thinking that they’re “doing something”. Of course, there’s some evidence that this works...they are wrongly perceived to “champion” things or are “tenacious”. Of course it’s utter bollocks - it’s simply a sticking plaster over their general ineptitude. In Beecroft’s case there appears to be the additional dimension(s) of her resentment at being found out as arguably the worst Minister of modern times (and never forget, incidentally, that Quayle sacked her because of representations by other MHKs who refused to work with her, not because of the monumental car-crash she was creating in Health, which tells us much about Quayle and Beecroft) together with a general sense that she’s a nut-job on the fringes of reality.

Callister is just gaming public attention, as he does with that frankly embarrassing blog. (Any Onchan resident who continues to place confidence in a man that produces such puerile tripe deserves all they get). The “Look at me, I’m so busy with all these vital Tynwald questions and by the way I’m so clever to ask them” school of political spotlight-seeking may be on the wane however, not least because these jokers can’t mask their otherwise miserable performance. Speller is also alert to this bull-shittery in his often perceptive and usually amusing demolition of the Tynwald agenda in his IOMN online assessment.

As we move towards the mid point of this desultory administration, expect more attention-seeking nonesense via Tynwald questions and other routes from those who will have chilly bowels about their re-election chances and hence generate the need to persuade the voters that they’re more than wasted skin. Having said that, the electors of south Douglas also need to be aware that if they elect Beecroft for a third time there’s likely to be a queue of people lining up to torch the entire constituency; not least quite a few of her Tynwald colleagues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

See callister is crying his peepers out on some political page on faceache over this. 

I personally blame every idiot in Onchan who voted him in. That includes Helmut Fromage. 

If only we were all blessed with hindsight eh...