Car Transporter Trailer required to hire or borrow

John Wright

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but the brakes have to work on the a-framed car as set out in the regs.......

Brakes work without servo assistance. But you know that already. 

Of course, as already mentioned and obviously unread or ignored, if you A frame a car <750kg the "trailer" brakes don't need to work.

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

Of course, as already mentioned and obviously unread or ignored, if you A frame a car <750kg the "trailer" brakes don't need to work.

More minutiae. If the trailer has brakes then they must work and be capable of being applied, whatever the weight of the trailer.

Brakes aren’t needed up to 750kg.

A car, on an Aframe, is considered a trailer, even microcars have breaks, ergo any car being towed using an A frame will have brakes, and they must be capable of being applied - whatever the car weight.

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

wrong- if fitted they must work......

without power to the servo brakes wont work to the required efficiency.......

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

More minutiae. If the trailer has brakes then they must work and be capable of being applied, whatever the weight of the trailer.

Brakes aren’t needed up to 750kg.

A car, on an Aframe, is considered a trailer, even microcars have breaks, ergo any car being towed using an A frame will have brakes, and they must be capable of being applied - whatever the car weight.

How many breaks do they get per day?:D

On 1/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Mike at Hoistline has a couple of trailers for rent - V.G.C. and very reasonable. +/- 20 foot long bed and 2 Ton load capacity IIRC.

Electric tilting bed.

Up behind Haldane Fisher, next lane after B&Q.

I did phone to check. No he doesn’t.

19 hours ago, P.K. said:

Out of curiosity when is this logistical exercise due to take place?

It probably shouldn't. The RX8 was a stillborn car at best. They are two a penny because they are so crap.

The price of the ferry will be more than the cars value. As for drifting it, just enjoy the first two minutes, as they may be the car's last.

That is not sour grapes because of my latest ban, but a factual observation.

35 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It probably shouldn't. The RX8 was a stillborn car at best. They are two a penny because they are so crap.

The price of the ferry will be more than the cars value. As for drifting it, just enjoy the first two minutes, as they may be the car's last.

That is not sour grapes because of my latest ban, but a factual observation.

As I’ve said, not my car. I won’t be driving, or drifting it. Never sat in one. Never driven one. I probably, personally, agree it’s a daft idea. Not my place, or yours, to comment.

If I was to go for a rotary/wankel powered motor I always liked the lines of the NSU Ro80. It’s a nice classic.

But if I was in the market for a classic, and I’m not, I’d have a hankering for a DS decapotable or an SM. Or a bullnose or a late 1920’s early 30’s Armstrong Siddley.

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As I’ve said, not my car. I won’t be driving, or drifting it. Never sat in one. Never driven one. I probably, personally, agree it’s a daft idea. Not my place, or yours, to comment.

If I was to go for a rotary/wankel powered motor I always liked the lines of the NSU Ro80. It’s a nice classic.

But if I was in the market for a classic, and I’m not, I’d have a hankering for a DS decapotable or an SM. Or a bullnose or a late 1920’s early 30’s Armstrong Siddley.

Had to remove and clean the sparkplugs every time you wanted to start it to have any chance of starting our RO80!

Archived