Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

Fire service & police get pension earlier but they have always paid into schemes at a high rate unlike most public sector who have only recently had to contribute 

exactly, 11%  i think but some plod or ex plod will be along to correct me if its different where as MHK's until recently paid sweet FA and the CS paid little and still do in real terms. 

1 hour ago, WTF said:

exactly, 11%  i think but some plod or ex plod will be along to correct me if its different where as MHK's until recently paid sweet FA and the CS paid little and still do in real terms. 

Pretty sure police pay now nearer 14% as went up recently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

That is the same week the prom is one way Victoria Street to Broadway so two of the main routes taking traffic into town closed at once

impossible as I am sure the DOI Minister stated that there would not do work on the arterial roads into Douglas while the Mountain road was shut 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Really?  Have you seen how much traffic heads into town that way every morning?

Busy is not quite the same as Arterial is it?  Especially when a road has a 3T weight limit. I wasn't challenging its business, just laughing at the description.

Maybe its a big capillary.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, Ghost Ship said:

Some months ago somebody posted a photo showing patches of multi-coloured tarmac/pavement on the prom.  Can anybody remember it and be good enough to direct me to it?  I want to show it to someone but I can't track it down.  Can't remember if it was this year or towards end of 2021.

Thanks

Was it this one?

No photo description available.

Asked a friend today who works on Queens prom as to what they all were doing re the suspension of parking starting 14th. She reckons she asked a DOI guy last week and he told them to park on the pavement . This is in the area of Candy store and T shirt shops. Cant see how thats going to work and not damage the granite and the pointing between joints. 

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Asked a friend today who works on Queens prom as to what they all were doing re the suspension of parking starting 14th. She reckons she asked a DOI guy last week and he told them to park on the pavement . This is in the area of Candy store and T shirt shops. Cant see how thats going to work and not damage the granite and the pointing between joints. 

there will be places on the prom that will have to be dug up again as there is tarmac and cement blocking some of the surface water drains , unless they are  cleared then there will always be a problem down there 

you have to ask yourself where was the supervision or an old fashioned Clerk of Works  to make sure things were done properly another big failing of the whole scheme  that needs to be investigated 

• Like 2