Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

I was down there the other day, it's amazing how a place can go to rack and ruin in ten years. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/derbyhaven-residents-concerns-over-hotel-development/?fbclid=IwAR1q2yJLZJUOhN6LMzLxrOrYiEbD01VHXafplJnaRk27BYrNdpYLZmCs7pE

I don't think the proposed development looks out of keeping with the area? A lot better than what is there now. I think the major concern is the single track road leading up to it?

• Like 1

It is better than what is there because the developer has been prepared to sit on the site until they get their own way, which not only is the hotel but 40 apartments as well. It should be borne in mind that the whole development is to be built on an ASSI with consequent huge detrimental effects not only to the landscape but to important wildlife as well.

Dandara bought the site knowing full well the land was to be used to replace the hotel but they know eventually planners will cave in !!

A small hotel to compliment the golf course would have perhaps been in keeping with what is required, but the profit from 40 apartments in what must be the most prime location for apartments on the island is too good to miss !!

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I was down there the other day, it's amazing how a place can go to rack and ruin in ten years. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/derbyhaven-residents-concerns-over-hotel-development/?fbclid=IwAR1q2yJLZJUOhN6LMzLxrOrYiEbD01VHXafplJnaRk27BYrNdpYLZmCs7pE

I don't think the proposed development looks out of keeping with the area? A lot better than what is there now. I think the major concern is the single track road leading up to it?

It wouldn't be an Isle of Man development proposal without at least one group of beaky NIMBY's objecting to it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, On The Bus said:

I agree! Sadly any development attracts NIMBYs over here!

Apartments there would be good IMO, would offset the cost of the hotel which is desperately needed.

Could even be interested in one myself...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

It is better than what is there because the developer has been prepared to sit on the site until they get their own way, which not only is the hotel but 40 apartments as well. It should be borne in mind that the whole development is to be built on an ASSI with consequent huge detrimental effects not only to the landscape but to important wildlife as well.

Dandara bought the site knowing full well the land was to be used to replace the hotel but they know eventually planners will cave in !!

A small hotel to compliment the golf course would have perhaps been in keeping with what is required, but the profit from 40 apartments in what must be the most prime location for apartments on the island is too good to miss !!

Looks to be the same size as the old hotel, there's plenty of room on the old site without digging into the ASSI.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Looks to be the same size as the old hotel, there's plenty of room on the old site without digging into the ASSI.

I am not one of the objectors but I know there are huge concerns about the fact that some perhaps 100 people will be living on site permanently, the effects of which cover much more than just the building. It sticks in my throat that Dandara bought the site knowing full well for what purpose planning was in place, but never wanted to provide a new hotel in its place hence the rack and ruin it is now ! Government should have compulsory purchased the site and offered it to someone who wanted to provide the hotel.

• Like 4

Just now, asitis said:

I am not one of the objectors but I know there are huge concerns about the fact that some perhaps 100 people will be living on site permanently, the effects of which cover much more than just the building. It sticks in my throat that Dandara bought the site knowing full well for what purpose planning was in place, but never wanted to provide a new hotel in its place hence the rack and ruin it is now ! Government should have compulsory purchased the site and offered it to someone who wanted to provide the hotel.

A hotel on its own would struggle IMO. 100 people there - I honestly don't see a problem, I also doubt it would be 100, probably closer to 60 as quite a few will be single such as myself. Sewage will obviously be pumped away, there may be a need for new underground utilities such as electricity , 'phone and water. again - without the apartments I doubt a hotel would exist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Anyone who believes a hotel will be there, needs there bumps felt.

If planning is for a hotel and apartments then that's what will be built, but it's not been said who will own the hotel I think.

Once there were two good places in Derbyhaven you could go to for lunch on a Sunday, now the option is zero.

Just now, GD4ELI said:

If planning is for a hotel and apartments then that's what will be built, but it's not been said who will own the hotel I think.

Once there were two good places in Derbyhaven you could go to for lunch on a Sunday, now the option is zero.

Dandara love a “retrospective planning” application 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Hotels are often owned by the developer or a pension or property fund. They’re operated under a franchise agreement, lease, or marketing and booking agreement.

There are two good places to go in Derbyhaven, 19th hole and Cafe Bar Two-Six.

• Like 1