Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

2 hours ago, asitis said:

We have a number of ASSI on the island, perhaps the most abused is the Langness Peninsula, the eastern end of it is a dog toilet ( I am a dog owner so no bias there), the western end is blighted by the ruin of the hotel. Sadly if it weren't for the levels of abuse, the area has the potential to be a superb nature and wildlife site with an ability to attract visitors to our shores but at the moment is blighted by crass stupidity and inaction! 

Fort Island is disgusting, horrible horrible people. And the rest of your post is entirely correct too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Castletown Golf Links is one of the best courses in the world. This should be a high quality golf resort hotel. 

It was before the dreadful extension was added, check out the old photos. Often used to eat there on a Sunday while at KWC, place was in its heyday.

As for best course in the world - lovely location but I think the fairways are a bit short, not sure though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Castletown Golf Links is one of the best courses in the world. This should be a high quality golf resort hotel. 

No it's not Derek. Very nice course but not even among the top in the U.K.

No need for a hotel down there now. Dandara are finished on the Island after this. Tough times for all of us ahead. 

Edited by Shake me up Judy

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No it's not Derek. Very nice course but not even among the top in the U.K.

No need for a hotel down there now. Dandara are finished on the Island after this. Tough times for all of us ahead. 

https://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-course-reviews/info/index.htm

https://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-course-reviews/castletown-golf-club.htm

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it's not so much a lack of rooms as a changing accommodation market, with more people looking for AirBnB type stays.  Boutique hotels really only work in big cities or maybe when they are destinations in their own right.  And they need to be able to operate year round - and who wants to stay on the Langness Peninsula in February?

There are - or were - boutique B&Bs on the island

Our accommodation needs to be varied, oiffering more cost effective accommodatio for families & school groups

This should include AirBnB & it's competitors

& MNH could play a bigger part by using more parts of it's estate as tourist accommodation

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

But there is no competition? We have no 5 star hotels so we don't get that market, most of ours are 2 or 3 star at best. One of the problems in organising any events here is the lack of bedrooms. 

As for converting rooms to apartments, they should have a covenant which prevents this.

You could have very upmarket B&B accommodation - perhaps it already exists

The idea that this island could attract custom for a 5 star hotel is just nuts

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it's not so much a lack of rooms as a changing accommodation market, with more people looking for AirBnB type stays.  Boutique hotels really only work in big cities or maybe when they are destinations in their own right.  And they need to be able to operate year round - and who wants to stay on the Langness Peninsula in February?

I could see environmentally friendly lodge style accommodation run ancillary to the Golf Clubhouse working, just

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Castletown Golf Links is one of the best courses in the world.

Very true, in the opinion of Golf Empire (a marketing company?), the owners and a few members. Actually it is just a decent enough course from which a number of long standing members are leaving and joining other clubs on the island.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, Derek Flint said:

It really isn't Derek. It's an OK course, but that's it. On the back of Ferguson-Lacey's money it got into <cough> the top 100 in the UK for a few years, right near the bottom, but totally unjustified, and I speak as a former member. 

On 3/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Dougie said:

Actually it is just a decent enough course from which a number of long standing members are leaving and joining other clubs on the island.

What's causing the exodus?

On 3/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Dougie said:

Castletown Golf Links is one of the best courses in the world.

Very true, in the opinion of Golf Empire (a marketing company?), the owners and a few members. Actually it is just a decent enough course from which a number of long standing members are leaving and joining other clubs on the island.

Strangely, I always heard that it was and couldn't appreciate why it had such a good reputation. I'm not a golfer and subscribe to the Mark Twain view of the sport, but accidentally picked up a golfing magazine at my GPs surgery. In there was a review by one of their contributors who it seems evaluates golf venues around the golfing world. He came to the island, stayed at the Sefton Express and played a couple of rounds in the wet and dry. He seemed mightily impressed and espoused all sorts of favourable comments. 

I'm sure that a good sympathetic hotel development would do wonders for the place. God this scruffy little island needs a good sort out! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Strangely, I always heard that it was and couldn't appreciate why it had such a good reputation. I'm not a golfer and subscribe to the Mark Twain view of the sport, but accidentally picked up a golfing magazine at my GPs surgery. In there was a review by one of their contributors who it seems evaluates golf venues around the golfing world. He came to the island, stayed at the Sefton Express and played a couple of rounds in the wet and dry. He seemed mightily impressed and espoused all sorts of favourable comments. 

I'm sure that a good sympathetic hotel development would do wonders for the place. God this scruffy little island needs a good sort out! 

15 years now since I left, and at the time it was scruffy, F-L had just arrived, and I believe he did eventually spend quite a bit on the course, and the new bar above the pro-shop, so my opinion may be somewhat dated. 

Also note I did them a disservice, they're 65th in the top 100 UK courses :blush: