Where is Reynolds?

Cleo

50 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Always nice to celebrate someone losing their job isn’t it?

I always said that I would open a bottle of champagne ( not some cheapskate bottle of Chablis, mind)when Thatcher want to meet her maker. But when it happened I couldn’t. It didn’t seem right somehow. 

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I always said that I would open a bottle of champagne ( not some cheapskate bottle of Chablis, mind)when Thatcher want to meet her maker. But when it happened I couldn’t. It didn’t seem right somehow. 

I did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlebushy said:

My guess would be half a million. Thanks to the great Manx public......

If it is, it's absolute peanuts compared to what has been spent down there in the last 20 years. All in the name of previous assurances that airport passenger figures could be increased to @ 1.5M per annum, IIRC.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If it is, it's absolute peanuts compared to what has been spent down there in the last 20 years. All in the name of previous assurances that airport passenger figures could be increased to @ 1.5M per annum, IIRC.

I have never understood how the passenger figures can be achieved by the airport alone.  Passenger figures have to be driven by people wanting to come to the island, and travel off it, not by the airport. No one goes somewhere because of the lovely airport. 

If all the expenditure was predicated on a passenger throughput of 1.5m, then who in government, Enterprise or its previous emanations, thought that figure was achievable? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Why would that be? If true, it sounds a bit unfair.

Probably to prevent a mass walkout of whoever is left to keep the place ticking over. I’ve heard the Deputy is significantly less popular than the Directress. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have never understood how the passenger figures can be achieved by the airport alone.  Passenger figures have to be driven by people wanting to come to the island, and travel off it, not by the airport. No one goes somewhere because of the lovely airport. 

Exactly it is not a destination in itself. Pre COVID I would use the airport for 12 or 15 return trips per annum for business and leisure travel. 
Apart from rare occasions (flight delays) never really had a problem. Except the coffee nonsense at Costa ( latte, whitee frappe or whatever)Probably marginally less problems than I have had at UK airports.

Not sure what the issues are here, except apart from those who see themselves as airport economists 

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If all the expenditure was predicated on a passenger throughput of 1.5m, then who in government, Enterprise or its previous emanations, thought that figure was achievable? 

I think it would be reasonable to say that some in Govt in the last 20 years had cloud and cuckoo ideas about where and what the Island could be, we've all heard and read about being a "major player on the world stage" etc, all riding on being a thriving international finance centre (and funded by a huge rebate from a VAT agreement).

Ms Reynold's patter possibly struck a chime with that.  She was just what we needed to help the vision along and money wasn't in short supply?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it would be reasonable to say that some in Govt in the last 20 years had cloud and cuckoo ideas about where and what the Island could be, we've all heard and read about being a "major player on the world stage" etc, all riding on being a thriving international finance centre (and funded by a huge rebate from a VAT agreement).

Ms Reynold's patter possibly struck a chime with that.  She was just what we needed to help the vision along and money wasn't in short supply?

Nor pies!