Government Appoint Climate Guru

foxdaleliberationfront

6 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

According to the Government's mouthpiece, there is a new climate guru who is going to save us all and the polar bears! 

I'm impressed at how quickly the Government have reacted... should be a nice little earner for those involved! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-announces-climate-emergency-team-chair/

Should have known the government would come up with its usual response to a problem: "more government".

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little perplexed about this climate emergency thing really? 

Are we having a sort of party to get all shouty about things that we can have absolutely no effect on whatsoever? Or are we having a serious discussion about what climate change will mean to us and take steps to mitigate the effects of said changes? Or are we having an emergency to show anyone who may be interested that the IoM is doing its little bit to set an example to China, India, the USA et al? 

As Hissingsid and Teapot have pointed out, there are things that we can do and should do but whether we will have any effect, other than making life more difficult and expensive for Manx residents, I'm not altogether sure at all!  

46 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Are we having a sort of party to get all shouty about things that we can have absolutely no effect on whatsoever? Or are we having a serious discussion about what climate change will mean to us and take steps to mitigate the effects of said changes? Or are we having an emergency to show anyone who may be interested that the IoM is doing its little bit to set an example to China, India, the USA et al? 

As Hissingsid and Teapot have pointed out, there are things that we can do and should do but whether we will have any effect, other than making life more difficult and expensive for Manx residents, I'm not altogether sure at all!  

If all goes to plan, there will be an interim chief exec on silly money whose job it will be to promote cabinet office staff, so that they can write a report recommending more staff.. And that should see us through to the next election. Whereupon those who fancy another stint will put this firmly in their manifesto.

That's about it, apart from loads of random knee-jerk reaction made up on the fly, which has no real consideration for supply chain or whole life environmental impact + a small windmill on Snaefell or similar with a webcam pointed to it in order to publish the Island's green credentials /cynic

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

We're having a Job Creation Fest. End of story.

Still-well-connected Government retirees to the head of the queue. Waffle and endless paper shuffling skills a distinct advantage. Lucrative salaries offered to successful applicants.

All to be funded by endless new "green taxes" imposed on the unwashed with petrol cars and lawnmowers.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Millions of points a climate change emergency consultative transformation team need to look at. Here are just a couple.

Windy as fuck here, most of the time. No wind turbines. Not a single one. Look east out to sea or fly to Liverpool along the north Wales coast and look out of the window, there are thousands. Its pathetic. Are we still pouring diesel into the incinerator? The whole situation is mental.

Someone told me the Manannin meets all applicable emissions levels, have you ever been on it on a really calm day? Miles and miles of visible stinking fumes. If it does pass there is something wrong with those targets.

What's the car ownership level over here again? 60000 vehicles? Crackers. There is some kind of free bus campaign running, they had a stall at Tynwald. I'm onboard. Are you?

I could carry on and on about things that could be improved, but let's see what they can look at other than their bank balances.

Sound sensible ideas Teapot which is why our clothheads won’t be doing much about it.

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'll be very interested to see what the strategy will be when revealed in six months. I hope it's not just a virtue signalling attempt such as forcing us all into EVs, which are far from the answer to the Isle of Man's own issues. 

My lungs would appreciate the island going all EV.

Ridiculous Political Posturing nothing more, yes we can and should do all we can to make the island as "green" as possible, much of it is common sense and doesn't need a raft of paid experts to push the agenda ! We should be re wilding areas of economically non viable farming land ( not paying for its mere existence), planting trees yes thats a good plan, controlling plastics and monitoring energy use, all these things don't require the creation of departments and posts just people with ideas !

The biggest problem with government here is the rate at which they burn money ! We should make a contribution to the global problems but thats all its ever going to be a token gesture !

I hope that this shows a genuine desire by IOMG to actually make positive steps towards making the Island as green as it could possibly be but I’m afraid I have to agree with my fellow cynics that this smacks of a green-washing job creation scheme.

There are plenty of passionate individuals who would happily volunteer their time to make the recommendations that are required and with the funding that this post will hoover up they could make a real difference.

As others have said the IOM is blessed with natural energy resources but there is too much vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

I believe that wealthy first-word countries have a duty to lead the way in the fight on climate change; even if their contribution is globally insignificant. After all, we led the way in industrialisation and consumerism that got us into this mess in the first place.

Archived