Government Appoint Climate Guru

foxdaleliberationfront

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ecobob said:

A money exercise to keep the kids quiet and some of those kids do actually know what they’re talking about - so it wont be one of them who gets the job that’s for sure. 

If they knew what they were talking about they would also provide answers on how to solve/fund it... :flowers:

Reactionary politics, appointing an "expert" to do job that DEFA should have the expertise already to do, so there's someone else to blame when things go "wrong" or government policy is not in line with climate change coalition agenda. How on earth are they going to measure how effective this "expert" is, and whether his salary is justified?

This subject doesn't need "experts", just someone with common sense and an ability to stand up to the baying masses, and realise that our miniscule, globally irrelevant CO2e emissions are not the problem.

The emergency response to plant as many carbon sinks as we can, is probably the cheapest, most effective immediate option we have as a tiny Island to offset our miniscule emissions.

Energy Sustainability should be the focus and how we practically and economically achieve that.

16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

If they knew what they were talking about they would also provide answers on how to solve/fund it... :flowers:

But what are you "solving"? 

We can only ever provide an example to the rest of the world of how to run a micro economy sustainably and as environmentally considerately as possible.

And if that is the goal, it's obvious to me how to do that and how to fund it.

20 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

But what are you "solving"? 

We can only ever provide an example to the rest of the world of how to run a micro economy sustainably and as environmentally considerately as possible.

And if that is the goal, it's obvious to me how to do that and how to fund it.

Agreed but try telling that to USA/INDIA/CHINA because unless they get on board we are peeing in the wind

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

I think you’ll find they know a lot more than you give them credit for. I have a vested interest as I’m part of the climate change convention so I spend a lot of time with these young people. They do have solutions and know how to fund them, perhaps not to solve the whole thing straight away but certainly on the cutting of emissions here on the island. They know too that the main reason the emissions target gets out back and put back is the economy, making money, and they don’t care so much about that and are far more ruthless in their approach. This appointment is to placate them, buy time, nothing more, so please, just because they are young don’t dismiss them as unknowledgeable as it’s just not true. 

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Do we have a "Government Job Creation" guru somewhere?

We put up with this shit because we don’t believe there’s a solution and for many hundreds of years there’s only been one thing to vote for and in the absence of anything else we trot along to the polling station and so the whole thing goes on and on. It’s madness, it’s insanity, the whole thing but without an alternative don’t expect anything different.  While we have a government system where members are protecting their salaries, their pensions, their kudos, their power then unpopular, just, decisions will never be made. Instead, money that we are told on a day to day basis we have not enough of to fund schools, police,  health is pissed away on enabling the government to renege on the pledges they have made. Madness. Time for a fucking revolution. A big one.  

26 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I think you’ll find they know a lot more than you give them credit for. I have a vested interest as I’m part of the climate change convention so I spend a lot of time with these young people. They do have solutions and know how to fund them, perhaps not to solve the whole thing straight away but certainly on the cutting of emissions here on the island. They know too that the main reason the emissions target gets out back and put back is the economy, making money, and they don’t care so much about that and are far more ruthless in their approach. This appointment is to placate them, buy time, nothing more, so please, just because they are young don’t dismiss them as unknowledgeable as it’s just not true. 

As this is a forum feel free to share these solutions. I would be more than interested in reading and discussing them

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

There are plenty of passionate individuals who would happily volunteer their time to make the recommendations that are required and with the funding that this post will hoover up they could make a real difference.

IoM Govt. are not interested in volunteers, they have proved this time and again. To them volunteer means amateur trouble maker, spoiling it for their 'professional' CS colleagues. It doesn't matter what background volunteers have, they are simply a nuisance, with all their sensible cost effective ideas!.   

I wonder if we just give everyone a grant to have a wood burner fitted and then furnish them with an unlimited supply of Manx £10 notes to heat their homes it might turn out more cost efficient and environmentally beneficial. Than to establish another government department to do nothing but PR exercises and fly around the world telling everyone else how the Isle of Man is doing it's bit. 

I agree with Max they judge everything by the cost, so an expert who costs £100000 has to have more knowledge than a person who has done the job or studied the subject for years.   This applies to everything they touch, take the fairy houses for example these could have been made locally for a fraction of the cost, may have even been an ongoing project for the college, if they did not last beyond a year, replace them.....but no, no, no, they would not be fit for purpose because they had not cost an arm and and a leg.   Unfortunately this pretentious way of thinking is rife in our society.

2 hours ago, ecobob said:

They know too that the main reason the emissions target gets out back and put back is the economy, making money, and they don’t care so much about that and are far more ruthless in their approach. 

That's probably because they have parents/grandparents who pick up their tab. 

Archived