Government Appoint Climate Guru

foxdaleliberationfront

37 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Since July I believe that there are now 20- odd civil servants working on the “Climate Change Team”, and that at least some took a grade jump when they were taken on board.

20 odd people to decide which taxes to increase! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, finlo said:

20 odd people to decide which taxes to increase! 

All of whom are paid and will be pensioned out of those taxes.

Doubtless to dream up one hypocritical lifestyle change after another to be imposed on the rest of us (but not them because they'll need to be able to carry on as they are in the name of saving the planet) in the name of changing the Island's 0.00000016% contribution to global whatever.

Mind, what's currently going on in the Brazilian/Amazonian rainforests is FA compared to what's been wreaked on the Island's plantations. Strange how the "diseased" trees concerns suddenly stopped when the felling contractor's money ran out. Including leaving large areas of "affected" trees still standing. With local contractors now being brought in to clear the mess up.

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

All of whom are paid and will be pensioned out of those taxes.

Doubtless to dream up one hypocritical lifestyle change after another to be imposed on the rest of us (but not them because they'll need to be able to carry on as they are in the name of saving the planet) in the name of changing the Island's 0.00000016% contribution to global whatever.

Mind, what's currently going on in the Brazilian/Amazonian rainforests is FA compared to what's been wreaked on the Island's plantations. Strange how the "diseased" trees concerns suddenly stopped when the felling contractor's money ran out. Including leaving large areas of "affected" trees still standing. With local contractors now being brought in to clear the mess up.

I have it from a reliable source that the Island is on the cusp of a real problem with Ash die back. There are something like 5000 ash trees around the TT course alone, apparently. 

Good time to be in the arbor business. 

20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The headline figure I'd really like to see is the carbon footprint of the TT. 

Me too! But I don't think there is any chance of the Government releasing it. 

It will need to be done independently and shouldn't be too hard to calculate for someone who knows how these things work. 

The first one would be the additional 50,000 bikers they claim come over and emissions from all the extra time people sit in traffic. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I have it from a reliable source that the Island is on the cusp of a real problem with Ash die back. There are something like 5000 ash trees around the TT course alone, apparently. 

Good time to be in the arbor business. 

As others (and me) have recently posted elsewhere, roadside tree growth all over the Island has remained unaddressed now for far too long, it surely can't be long until it starts to impact on road safety conditions with leaf fall and the winter gales on the way. There's only so much growth that artics and double decker buses can knock off.

It is a nonsense if there are 50,000 bikers creating a carbon footprint over here then they will not be creating it elsewhere in the U.K. or further afield.   There is a bike creating this carbon does not really matter where..we are all in this together are we not ?  Except of course China and India, if they really want to make an impression and concentrate the minds of these two countries they should encourage people to desist from buying the cheap crap they export, that will never happen.

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Since July I believe that there are now 20- odd civil servants working on the “Climate Change Team”, and that at least some took a grade jump when they were taken on board.

No doubt mental deficient types who work at the Cabinet Office. They have nothing else to do all day (except troll Manx Forums and social media) so they are quick to put them on any new "project" to pretend they're required. In a real free market economy and proper transparent and small and efficient government, none of them would be retained.

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I hope they are all out digging holes and planting trees, rather than producing endless streams of meaningless waffle.

Yes, we know the climate changes, and essentially there's fuck all the Isle of Man can do which will effect that change. Don't need 20 people to get to that truth.

The ONLY thing we can do is try to live as sustainably as possible to set an example to others. But I would think  until electric planes and hydrogen fuel cell ships are developed, net zero carbon equivalent emissions is unachievable.

It'll not change until we're all living in mud huts, cooking in clay pots and living off the land as hunter/gatherers. How else can it?

All Technology means pollution either in its use or its manufacture. How far back into the dark ages these environmental zealots would like to take us in the name of saving the planet is anybody's guess.

I'd suggest until it starts to impact on themselves. Then laws will change to exclude them and the wealthy.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, Derek Flint said:

The worse thing for the climate is to "increase the working population of the island".

• 1 month later...

Guru speaks. Wow, finally someone with a grown up, mature attitude to the sustainability debate.

It's so obvious the exploitation of the gas in our territorial waters is the right pathway for the Island to providing the necessary finance for the significant investment required for renewables to be the primary energy source for the Island in years to come, and thus achieving low carbon energy sustainability.

Our carbon emissions are a complete red herring in this whole debate, as they are so vanishingly small and insignificant in global terms any increase or reduction of them will have no effect whatsoever.

It should need just one person with an ounce of common sense to see the above, and hopefully Professor Curran is the man to deliver this. It really is about time someone changed the narrative on this whole issue.

In the meantime CM confirmed to Tynwald (page 10) 24 people (14.5 equivalent full time)  working on this..... Really?? Hope they all are empowered with wellies, a spade and some saplings.

Archived