Greta Thunberg

Freggyragh

Crossing the Atlantic in a yacht in August. Taking on the most powerful politicians on Earth and inspiring a generation. At 16. I’m no eco-warrior, but she has made me think about what I can do. There are a lot of sad flabby science deniers who wouldn’t last a day on a yacht who hate her - are you one of them? 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite. I wanted out but they just kept...pulling....me....back.

That was shown up as a pointless PR stunt no doubt devised by her 'advisers'.

I don't hate her, but similarly I don't worship at her feet. She's a 16 year old child and I'm amazed how many grown-ups see her as some sort of a saviour.

6 hours ago, woody2 said:

it's sick how this child is being abused...........

It's sick that a 16 year old has to be the one to challenge political leaders to take proper action on climate change.

The science is there to prove it but politicians and the very wealthy know that they will not be around long enough to have to live with the consequences. 

I am concerned about the world that we will leave behind for the young.  One stripped of so many resources.  One which l, if not dying,  is seriously ill.

What is it going to take for world leaders to get serious about this? 

Don't give me bollocks about China, India and the US being the biggest polluters and therefore whatever we do is insignificant.  If I saw you chucking rubbish into the beautiful countryside on the Isle of Man I am not going to copy you.  I will take my rubbish home and dispose of it as best I can - or better yet reduce my amount of waste.

Our world is a terrible mess.  We need to stop polluting it. 

12 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It's sick that a 16 year old has to be the one to challenge political leaders to take proper action on climate change.

The science is there to prove it but politicians and the very wealthy know that they will not be around long enough to have to live with the consequences. 

I am concerned about the world that we will leave behind for the young.  One stripped of so many resources.  One which l, if not dying,  is seriously ill.

What is it going to take for world leaders to get serious about this? 

Don't give me bollocks about China, India and the US being the biggest polluters and therefore whatever we do is insignificant.  If I saw you chucking rubbish into the beautiful countryside on the Isle of Man I am not going to copy you.  I will take my rubbish home and dispose of it as best I can - or better yet reduce my amount of waste.

Our world is a terrible mess.  We need to stop polluting it. 

hysteria........:rolleyes:

every government and civil servant is going to love this, people asking to be taxed more so they can carry on with the gravy train.......

science is not there to prove it........its been getting warmer since the last ice age.......one said yesterday even if they removed all man made co2 it wouldn't make a difference.......

13 minutes ago, woody2 said:

hysteria........:rolleyes:

every government and civil servant is going to love this, people asking to be taxed more so they can carry on with the gravy train.......

science is not there to prove it........its been getting warmer since the last ice age.......one said yesterday even if they removed all man made co2 it wouldn't make a difference.......

Thank you for confirming just how self centred you are.

I never mentioned higher taxes.  There is plenty we could and should be doing without increased taxes.

We need to realise that many of our political leaders are supported by and paid for by industries reliant on fossil fuels.

8 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Crossing the Atlantic in a yacht in August. Taking on the most powerful politicians on Earth and inspiring a generation. At 16. I’m no eco-warrior, but she has made me think about what I can do. There are a lot of sad flabby science deniers who wouldn’t last a day on a yacht who hate her - are you one of them? 

Is it you that is 16?

15 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Thank you for confirming just how self centred you are.

I never mentioned higher taxes.  There is plenty we could and should be doing without increased taxes.

We need to realise that many of our political leaders are supported by and paid for by industries reliant on fossil fuels.

but that's what every government and civil servant is looking at......

so how are her illnesses linked to climate change..........

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I'll bite. I wanted out but they just kept...pulling....me....back.

That was shown up as a pointless PR stunt no doubt devised by her 'advisers'.

I don't hate her, but similarly I don't worship at her feet. She's a 16 year old child and I'm amazed how many grown-ups see her as some sort of a saviour.

Like Anne Frank? Or Mozart? Or Joan of Ark? Or Mary Shelley?  All children  all capable of great things and all subject to hero worship  

Get your head out of the sand. You think it’s a stunt but perhaps it is you who is a willing participant in the greatest stunt of all. You’re in a great position to influence but you’re taking the easy route agreeing with those who make it all seem so simple to avoid doing anything significant to effect change. Stop being so lazy. Get yourself properly educated on this and stop spreading your uninformed opinions. Please. 

13 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Like Anne Frank? Or Mozart? Or Joan of Ark? Or Mary Shelley?  All children  all capable of great things and all subject to hero worship  

Get your head out of the sand. You think it’s a stunt but perhaps it is you who is a willing participant in the greatest stunt of all. You’re in a great position to influence but you’re taking the easy route agreeing with those who make it all seem so simple to avoid doing anything significant to effect change. Stop being so lazy. Get yourself properly educated on this and stop spreading your uninformed opinions. Please. 

whats your solution? like extinction rebellion?.......shut the nhs, shut supermarkets and go and live in a mud hut.......as long as you can keep your iphone, your polluting electric car and a diesel generator to charge it "off grid".........

21 minutes ago, woody2 said:

but that's what every government and civil servant is looking at......

so how are her illnesses linked to climate change..........

Illnesses?  As far as I am aware she has autism which is not an illness or disease.  

As for illnesses linked with pollution there are plenty of examples of children living in towns and cities suffering with conditions such as Asthma.  The WHO links air pollution to heart disease, strokes, and lung cancer.

As for what Governments and Civil Servants are looking for... Well you are not listening to the message are you?  Greta Thunberg is calling for those people to take real and meaningful action to address the root cause.  She is telling them that they are not doing enough, that they are failing the people they claim to represent.   It is not simply a case of raise taxes to introduce carbon offset schemes etc.  Although the "bag tax" appears to have worked and overcome the initial resistance and supermarkets are now looking at removing unnecessary food packaging and allowing people to bring their own containers to buy good. 

Politicians, and the Civil Service, need to a wake up call and take meaningful action now and not simply try and tax people out of negative behaviours.  

Archived