Greta Thunberg

Freggyragh

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Here's the US Government's take on it - https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/greenhouse-gases.php#cfc 

This is all largely irrelevant as anyone trying to justify humankind's emissions on basis of their being naturally occurring emissions is flawed in their logic.

stop trying to move the goal post......

freggy claimed no natural source......

"one of them was a CFC"

https://www.questia.com/magazine/1G1-60115123/volcanoes-aren-t-a-big-source-of-cfcs

i never said the amount........

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

stop trying to move the goal post......

freggy claimed no natural source......

"one of them was a CFC"

https://www.questia.com/magazine/1G1-60115123/volcanoes-aren-t-a-big-source-of-cfcs

i never said the amount........

I'm not moving any goalposts, you clearly highlighted the part you were talking about in bold.

2 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

CFCs aren’t, as far as I’m aware, naturally occurring and weren’t synthesised until the late 1890s. The ozone layer was discovered in 1913 - before commercial production of CFCs, which didn’t take off until the 1940s. Ozone depletion was first predicted in about 1973 by scientists who had worked out that CFC’s, would have such an effect. By 1985 those predictions were demonstrably coming true, steps were taken to phase out CFC production and the ozone layer healed. 

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Volcanoes not natural? 

Jesus Christ on a bike!

The interaction between volcanic gasses and man made CFC's and halogens within the atmosphere causes a spike in CFC's during an eruption. 

The CFC's do not emanate from the volcanoes themselves.

That is my take based on what appears to be a serious scientific article; not wikipedia. 

28 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Jesus Christ on a bike!

The interaction between volcanic gasses and man made CFC's and halogens within the atmosphere causes a spike in CFC's during an eruption. 

The CFC's do not emanate from the volcanoes themselves.

That is my take based on what appears to be a serious scientific article; not wikipedia. 

You just had to bring cyclists into this didn't you?

With the best will in the world, we have at least contributed to climate change, and even if the climate wasn't changing, we should be bringing a halt to the pollution of our planet by our actions. Personally, I don't think we can prevent what is largely a natural cycle, and we should be looking at innovation to help us to deal with the effects, which will surely be huge at some point. 

Archived