Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

4 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Oh dear, then punched a patch of wall out further down so that the water funneled into this all spews out onto the road with a good bit of weight behind it. 

Yes the hole was where the digger is and down to road level . Maybe 5 meters or more long 

Edited by Numbnuts

In my experience this is a common set up to assist wildlife and particularly fishstock. Also in my experience the contractor will have had the method statement either signed off by the MUA or designed by the MUA. 

Finally, in my experience, don't do riverworks during the exquinox. Do it in late spring before spawning and when river levels are dropping 

** My experience - three river crossing jobs and design for works in rivers.

• Like 5

Any photos from down the River because I am convinced that the bridge would not take a flood and the many trees that would follow...May pop down myself in the am to see if anyone wants some help.No chance of any cash from our "aid" budget  unless you wear a burka and need to be be taught how to swim.Preferably overseas..

41 minutes ago, SJR said:

Any photos from down the River because I am convinced that the bridge would not take a flood and the many trees that would follow...May pop down myself in the am to see if anyone wants some help.No chance of any cash from our "aid" budget  unless you wear a burka and need to be be taught how to swim.Preferably overseas..

Pictures I've seen show loads of trees and branches etc jammed just lower than this picture above .So probably didn't make it to the bridge  

We seem to have given up looking after our environment and engaging in essential maintenance to ensure our infrastructure continues to function effectively in favour of high brow glory projects.

DEFA forestry doesn't seem to exist anymore along with DOI regular maintenance.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We seem to have given up looking after our environment and engaging in essential maintenance to ensure our infrastructure continues to function effectively in favour of high brow glory projects.

Try reading the book Chernobyl for the perfect case study in what’s happened in the IOM. How to pretend that you haven’t had a nuclear disaster as all the senior officials you employ tell you that there’s been no nuclear disaster as they know that’s what you want to hear despite the fact that they’re dealing with a massive nuclear disaster. It’s the same here. If anything doesn’t fit the management dashboard in DOI HQ it doesn’t matter. It hasn’t actually happened. So the fact that nobody is doing day to day maintenance of anything isn’t an issue because we’ll just set up a massive project when a disaster happens and it will make us look like we’re really good at dealing with disasters - when in fact were actually causing them by being fucking useless and listening to nobody at the coal face. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Bring back winter work schemes and make the wasters do something for their bennies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

Bring back winter work schemes and make the wasters do something for their bennies.

I have been saying this for years. Get the feckless gits out and work during their incarceration 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes the hole was where the digger is and down to road level . Maybe 5 meters or more long 

This was only one of the issues. 

First came the rain. Sustained rain for eight hours. Not unusual in Glen Road and the river has often risen a metre or two but the road has remained clear. This morning the flooding came from the road side, not the river  

Then came the hole in the wall. This hole was made by the contractors brought in to deal with the ecology project enabling the spawning of fish in Laxey River.

Last night, despite the yellow weather warning, the hole was left open with no attempt to secure it from rising waters  

Then came the contractor’s digger, left in the river last night. Sometime early this morning, it was moved by the fast moving water and  created a dam. This dam changed the flow of  the water and forced it though through the hole in the wall  

Second was the old concrete weir. The weir is some fifty metres down river from the hole in the wall.  This is a ‘door’ structure in the river that, historically, has become clogged with debris during times of high rains. On this occasion, the first high rains of the season, twenty or thirty trees from the mountain were washed down and got caught in the weir and filled almost the entire width of the river. This caused a further back up and more water poured through the hole. 

This concrete structure has been highlighted time and time again by Laxey residents as a flood hazard but every time the DOI try to remove it, objections have been made by Manx National Heritage. 

This flooding was avoidable. This was no freak of nature, this was a serious error of judgement on many parts.

Tonight, homes are flooded, cars have gone,  people are displaced but unlike the winter of 2015 where it rained for days on end, this time it rained only for  matter of hours. 

If it had been high tide at 8am this morning this could have been a whole different story. This could have been ’Bostock’ situation’ all over again.   

Let’s just see how they spin this one...

81CADF2D-C3F1-4ECE-AB95-608F4BA4DCCF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Pictures I've seen show loads of trees and branches etc jammed just lower than this picture above .So probably didn't make it to the bridge  

Had the river not been diverted to the road via the hole made by the contractors, and had the weir not been blocked by trees, then I can assure you the the delight that is the new Laxey Bridge would not be standing tonight. 

The force of water coming down Glen Road flowed into the harbour and diverted the waters from the already swollen river. 

At 7am this morning the river waters were only 5cms from the bottom of the new bridge. Had the full force of the river reached it at 10.30 am without the diversion down the road then the bridge would have been at best submerged and at worst, gone. 

25 minutes ago, ecobob said:

This was only one of the issues. 

First came the rain. Sustained rain for eight hours. Not unusual in Glen Road and the river has often risen a metre or two but the road has remained clear. This morning the flooding came from the road side, not the river  

Then came the hole in the wall. This hole was made by the contractors brought in to deal with the ecology project enabling the spawning of fish in Laxey River.

Last night, despite the yellow weather warning, the hole was left open with no attempt to secure it from rising waters  

Then came the contractor’s digger, left in the river last night. Sometime early this morning, it was moved by the fast moving water and  created a dam. This dam changed the flow of  the water and forced it though through the hole in the wall  

Second was the old concrete weir. The weir is some fifty metres down river from the hole in the wall.  This is a ‘door’ structure in the river that, historically, has become clogged with debris during times of high rains. On this occasion, the first high rains of the season, twenty or thirty trees from the mountain were washed down and got caught in the weir and filled almost the entire width of the river. This caused a further back up and more water poured through the hole. 

This concrete structure has been highlighted time and time again by Laxey residents as a flood hazard but every time the DOI try to remove it, objections have been made by Manx National Heritage. 

This flooding was avoidable. This was no freak of nature, this was a serious error of judgement on many parts.

Tonight, homes are flooded, cars have gone,  people are displaced but unlike the winter of 2015 where it rained for days on end, this time it rained only for  matter of hours. 

If it had been high tide at 8am this morning this could have been a whole different story. This could have been ’Bostock’ situation’ all over again.   

Let’s just see how they spin this one...

81CADF2D-C3F1-4ECE-AB95-608F4BA4DCCF.jpeg

Fuck  |MNH,  time for an accident with a big digger.

14 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Had the river not been diverted to the road via the hole made by the contractors, and had the weir not been blocked by trees, then I can assure you the the delight that is the new Laxey Bridge would not be standing tonight. 

The force of water coming down Glen Road flowed into the harbour and diverted the waters from the already swollen river. 

At 7am this morning the river waters were only 5cms from the bottom of the new bridge. Had the full force of the river reached it at 10.30 am without the diversion down the road then the bridge would have been at best submerged and at worst, gone. 

I tend to agree with you ...lessons clearly haven't been learned and I despair if they ever will 

• Like 1