Three Legs on North Barrule

slinkydevil

17 hours ago, pongo said:

The statues of them are weird and pointless too. And ask yourself this: What is anyone actually going to do with this expensive statue of the Bee Gees? And therefore what is the point of it? Why not just Google some pictures of them or watch a video on YouTube if you want to be reminded what they looked like?

Seagulls like them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, CharlieBrown said:

This would be a tragedy if they did not add a underlit dance floor light installation and play staying alive on a loop, every time someone walks past. 

Frankly, that’s a fucking brilliant idea.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, CharlieBrown said:

This would be a tragedy if they did not add a underlit dance floor light installation and play staying alive on a loop, every time someone walks past. 

You forget that this is the Corpy.  They have actually managed to come up with something even tackier and considerably less fun:

It will depict the three Manx-born Gibb brothers atop a vinyl record with the words 'Ellan Vannin' written around the perimeter.

But fear not because Cllr Christian assures us it "will have 'worldwide appeal'" and "create a landmark feature that both visitors and locals will appreciate".  And a mere snip at £150,000.

• Confused 1

If the sculpture is of high quality then it may develop its own  appeal  as a work of art with the subject matter having less  importance with time.

It will no doubt  acquire a nickname, like the Dublin statue of Molly Malone (“The tart with the cart”), but the reaction of future  generations may well  be , “Who?”

On 11/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, CharlieBrown said:

I think you might have just Started A Joke there, Charlie.

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bee-gees-statue-will-have-worldwide-appeal-says-council-leader/

Now we at least know who's behind this stupid idea. A time of financial constraints. Arun down Douglas centre. Yes, let's drop £150-k on a statue. Madness.

I don't really mind a statue of the Bee Gees, but Madness? (That idea Suggs!)

"If the sculpture is of high quality then it may develop its own  appeal  as a work of art with the subject matter having less  importance with time.

It will no doubt  acquire a nickname, like the Dublin statue of Molly Malone (“The tart with the cart”), but the reaction of future  generations may well  be , “Who?”"

. .  and definitely not The Who. (Even if Pete Townsend's Dad did play in the Squadronaires, and Happy Jack lived in the sand at the Isle of Man.)

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Frankly, that’s a fucking brilliant idea.

I know, would be real art not just a shite statue. I assume the idea is to encourage 'selfies' to be shared on social media, but photos don't get the reach of video, add a dance floor and music and every one would upload a video, in DFE economics the return on investment for this change would easily be an extra 5 million of visitor spend.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Its been painted and it's a bloody eyesore..

I did think the other day if I was to paint a huge cock and balls on the adjacent hill would that be allowed too?

Wasnt it painted a few weeks ago now. Latest gossip is that he has given it up now due to being too old and planning issues.