Three Legs on North Barrule

slinkydevil

I think you're a bit new to the Isle of Man laddie

Try Laxey Wheel?

Old House of Keys . . . . Harbour Commissioners...any amount of milestones.....or even a hillside in Peel.

Laxey Wheel - 3 legs.JPG

853213151_OldHouseofKeys-3legs.jpg.10cc9c54c72f4361c781a361e9882e3d.jpg

457940544_CastletownHarbour-3legs.JPG.1b7de0699008fcfb8c2cad88328969d6.JPG

503195875_Milestone-3legs.JPG.ca78348ef8c0f583618c05cc225ea1c0.JPG

762229794_Peel-3legs.JPG.67afb415dc904a453efca5d68e154014.JPG

Edited by gettafa

Wrong, viewed from the traditional geographical point of view of , south to north, the Three Legs should turn anti clockwise, away from England, subordination and sujugation to the English Crown. The lower knee should NEVER be on the ground! We kneel to no one!!!

• Haha 1

Sure but the national flag was adopted in 1931.

My very sad Directory of Flags (a misguided xmas pressie) shows the legs rotating in an anti-clock direction.

Personally I've always thought that was wrong. As I understand it they are supposed to represent the sun wheeling across the sky. So for the legs to be revolving anti-clock means the observation must be taken from at least the Tropic of Cancer southwards.

Having the legs rotating clockwise would represent the sun crossing from horizon to horizon when viewed from the northern hemisphere - like what we do.

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Wrong, viewed from the traditional geographical point of view of , south to north, the Three Legs should turn anti clockwise, away from England, subordination and sujugation to the English Crown. The lower knee should NEVER be on the ground! We kneel to no one!!!

Kneel to no one but sell out to many...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Credit to this guy's enthusiam but if it gets painted it will become a maintenance issue and eventually an eyesore for the lack of it.

god almighty, a bit of perspective here.

It gets painted white, and then there's a "maintenance issue", paint gradually flakes off, eventually goes back to stone colour. Big deal. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I agree with Rushen Spy  the three legs symbol is milked to death on the Island to the point of paranoia.

Not sure you can "milk" a symbol. But if our identity is being subsumed by the comeovers then perhaps it's needed more than ever!

However PE and PSM have their proms decked with flags, which obviously have a cost, which has nothing to do with symbolism and everything to do with being jolly. Maybe the recent furore with Rushen over paying for what are essentially shared amenities was driven by flag envy....

Have to say that the pattern adopted in 1931 would appear to be arse about face.

Edited by P.K.
Typo

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I agree with Rushen Spy  the three legs symbol is milked to death on the Island to the point of paranoia. Credit to this guy's enthusiam but if it gets painted it will become a maintenance issue and eventually an eyesore for the lack of it.

I'll no doubt get lambasted but quite frankly I think it's nothing short of vandalism; rural graffiti.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

god almighty, a bit of perspective here.

It gets painted white, and then there's a "maintenance issue", paint gradually flakes off, eventually goes back to stone colour. Big deal. 

Ok then why bother proposing to paint it in the first place? Leave the stones in their natural state unless there is an intention to make it permanent in which case it will become a mainetnance issue