Three Legs on North Barrule

slinkydevil

If it doesn't stand up in it's natural state, it lessens it's value as a piece of art.

Maybe if Stonehenge (or whatever) was painted flourescent dayglo green it would get seen by more people? A daft extreme example I realise but I hope it makes the point.

eta: it's an ok idea and all that, but more thought should have been put into it. It should have been built in a clearer area away from all the other stones. More work humping the stones of course, but probably less work in the long run. 

eeta: And to take this a bit further, it could have allowed for perspective so that it could be seen clearer from a particular vantage point. In much the same way that football pitch advertising does. 

Edited by gettafa

34 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Ok then why bother proposing to paint it in the first place? Leave the stones in their natural state unless there is an intention to make it permanent in which case it will become a mainetnance issue

If he want's to get off his arse, lug himself over 40 times up the side of a big hill, rearrange some stones that are there already to create an "art installation" which generally celebrates the Island he loves living on and is his way of giving something positive back and he wants to paint it white, so what?! 

I find it extremely hard to see how anyone can view this as offensive (OK, it's "art" and I realise that's subjective) Do you object to the stone "nipple" on top of Cronk-ny-Arry-Laa ?

It's not harming anyone or anything, isn't offensive, hasn't cost taxpayer anything and certainly provides a talking point.

We should all be thanking our lucky stars that DfE have had nothing what-so-ever to do with this.

I think it's ace. Good on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

If it doesn't stand up in it's natural state, it lessens it's value as a piece of art.

Maybe if Stonehenge (or whatever) was painted flourescent dayglo green it would get seen by more people? A daft extreme example I realise but I hope it makes the point.

eta: it's an ok idea and all that, but more thought should have been put into it. It should have been built in a clearer area away from all the other stones. More work humping the stones of course, but probably less work in the long run. 

eeta: And to take this a bit further, it could have allowed for perspective so that it could be seen clearer from a particular vantage point. In much the same way that football pitch advertising does. 

White horses and giants carved in chalk hillsides need regular clearing, cleaning and whitening. Which makes the opposite point.

Im relaxed about it. Good on the guy, his family and friends.

Is it any different to cairns and tumuli?

As for the direction, there isn’t an official one. It’s been represented both ways, as have most sun symbols, including swastikas and flyflots.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

White horses and giants carved in chalk hillsides need regular clearing, cleaning and whitening. Which makes the opposite point.

Im relaxed about it. Good on the guy, his family and friends.

Is it any different to cairns and tumuli?

As for the direction, there isn’t an official one. It’s been represented both ways, as have most sun symbols, including swastikas and flyflots.

Pedantry alert John - it’s ‘fylfot’ not ‘flyfot’ and a swastika is a fylfot, not distinct from one. A three branched symbol (derived from a sun symbol) is a triskele, a four-branched symbol (ditto sun), swastika included, is a fylfot.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

I’d have perhaps preferred a pagan symbol with a big willy for the irreverent novelty factor but this is ok I suppose. 

Presumably there would then be a rush of young women sitting on it knickerless in the hope of it enhancing their fecundity, as is the tradition with such artifacts.

17 hours ago, gettafa said:

Who's going to be the one to tell him he's put the legs going in the wrong direction?

The flag, with its eternal controversy about which way the legs should face and whether the lower leg should kneel or stand, is perfectly representative of not being able to make up one's mind about anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Pedantry alert John - it’s ‘fylfot’ not ‘flyfot’ and a swastika is a fylfot, not distinct from one. A three branched symbol (derived from a sun symbol) is a triskele, a four-branched symbol (ditto sun), swastika included, is a fylfot.

Quite right with spelling. A fylfot is a reversed swastika, or vice versa, ie going the other way. It’s a tetraskele

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

The flag, with its eternal controversy about which way the legs should face and whether the lower leg should kneel or stand, is perfectly representative of not being able to make up one's mind about anything.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Quite right with spelling. A fylfot is a reversed swastika, or vice versa, ie going the other way.

I bet you'd have got into a lot more bother in 1930s Germany for getting the swastika the wrong way around than you ever would here for inflicting similar indignity on the triskelion.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, woolley said:

I bet you'd have got into a lot more bother in 1930s Germany for getting the swastika the wrong way around than you ever would here for inflicting similar indignity on the triskelion.

The Nazi party and state institutions only used swastikas going one way, but, as an example, many of the souvenirs made for the 1936 Olympics run the other way.