Benefits Payments Delayed

Amadeus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gettafa said:

I wonder if the ex-civil service hefty pension cheques went astray too?

Maybe all the money has run out.

Oh, if everything else in the world has failed they'll still be coming through bang on time....

4 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

There is a line for urgent need and maybe they can still offer a personal issue. I was due £350 Benefits years ago when they sort of forgot me. They then paid me £3.50. They insisted they were right until I took it higher and higher when they offered me £350 but not until after a week. I insisted pay that day and thus I was paid out about 4pm on  a Friday for the full amount. Across in UK the system is in chaos. Lost its way. Nothing works due to constant reorganisation.

You should come back here Bazza - everything is great

40 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Apparently some payments are starting to go into accounts . Disjointed and random it seems but people are slowly getting benefits paid .

That's a hell of a shame, if only people that genuinely are on and need benefits received their payments today and the non-deserving ones got them.....er....never.

Who earth thought it was acceptable to make those on benefits (ie those most in need) wait until Monday before getting any money? That is truly shocking and completely unacceptable. Mistakes can and do happen, it’s how they are dealt when they occur that really matters.

I saw a post on Facebook saying someone had a direct debit coming out which has made them go into an unauthorised overdraft, I hope the benefits office will be paying any charges that may occur.

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I saw a post on Facebook saying someone had a direct debit coming out which has made them go into an unauthorised overdraft, I hope the benefits office will be paying any charges that may occur.

Have read most of the threads and seems loads have been caught out ,some have 3 or more DD going out timed to coincide with incomes coming in... Intresting to see what the banks have to say about the penalties . My guess is they will say see  government , not their problem.  

29 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Anyone know what the scope of the problem actually is?

According to the official IOMG Facebook:

The Treasury Minister has confirmed that around 70 per cent of customers affected by a delay in benefits payments have already received their money.

A solution was identified which has enabled the majority of payments to be made successfully this afternoon.

All outstanding payments should be credited by lunchtime tomorrow (Friday 6 December).

Any customers who have not received their payments and are still in need of assistance are urged to contact Social Security by calling 686415. Anyone who has suffered any financial penalties connected to this matter should also contact Social Security.

Treasury Minister Alfred Cannan MHK said: ‘I wish to apologise for the inconvenience this matter will have undoubtedly caused those affected. Payment processing will continue from first thing tomorrow morning and should be resolved by lunchtime.’

So it looks as if they have been told about the direct debit problem as well.

There's no explanation of how many people have been affected - I assume it's only certain benefits as not all are paid on the same days and some won't be paid weekly.  There's also no explanation of how it happened or who was responsible: Treasury or the Technology people.  Presumably it is being fixed by the Markwell House staff treating each payment as an emergency one and overriding everything else.

What is most revealing about this is the way it was initially treated.  When it was first announced this morning it was done in a very laid back way with just an assumption that people would contact them if it was a problem.  But otherwise it wasn't seen as a worry if people got their money four days late and no one seems to have realised that most people on benefits don't have the sort of financial 'cushion' that say the average upper-ranking civil servant does.  Presumably the counter staff know that situation only too well, but there's the classic pattern when those who claim to be in charge seem to be completely clueless and utterly uninterested in finding out.

Archived