Benefits Payments Delayed

Amadeus

55 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What is most revealing about this is the way it was initially treated.  When it was first announced this morning it was done in a very laid back way with just an assumption that people would contact them if it was a problem.  But otherwise it wasn't seen as a worry if people got their money four days late and no one seems to have realised that most people on benefits don't have the sort of financial 'cushion' that say the average upper-ranking civil servant does.  Presumably the counter staff know that situation only too well, but there's the classic pattern when those who claim to be in charge seem to be completely clueless and utterly uninterested in finding out.

Public servants....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

But perhaps some people could be advised not to time direct debits for the same day as their benefits come in? It would help them in the future to allow 24 hours between getting paid and paying it out. 

I didn’t realise you actually were Jacob Rees-Mogg

It is astonishing that in the 21st century the social support payments system depends on a minion in Treasury being able to send instructions to the correct email address. Millions and millions and millions of ££££s of public money have been spent by government on computerised systems

53 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

You would think the person due to receive the email may have wondered where it was too. 

Smells of bullshit this one. 

And sending BACS requires more than one person to authorise the payments so surely both people might’ve wondered why they weren’t sending any benefits that day. 

We've got some more information from Cannan's statement to Tynwald today (as usual link will soon be superseded line 41 on of whatever current  version is):

The Minister for the Treasury (Mr Cannan): [...] May I also take this opportunity to reiterate my invitation to customers who suffer bank charges as a result of the delayed payments to get in touch with Social Security who will arrange for a payment to cover those charges. May I also publicly thank the officers for answering hundreds of phone calls we received from customers and for their ingenuity in finding and implementing a solution such that 70% of payments had been made by 5 p.m. on Thursday evening and 99.8% of payments had been made by just after midnight on Friday morning.

Turning now to the specifics of Mr Speaker’s Question, I can confirm that 9,850 customers were due payments into their bank accounts last Thursday. We first became aware of the issue early on Thursday morning as a member of the public contacted a staff member at home. The reason that the payments were not made was that an email prompt to authorise the Bacs payment process was sent to an incorrect email address.

During the afternoon of last Thursday we were able to use the eQ faster pay facility to make the payments which should have been made by the Bacs system. Furthermore, I can confirm that we made 13 emergency payments of £100 each to customers in the most urgent need on Thursday via post offices.

We will be examining all of our ls around benefit and state pension payments and will put in place measures to ensure that the events of last Thursday are not repeated.

Hooper speaks for all of us:

[...] I am sure I am not the only one who is astonished to learn that the entire Isle of Man benefits system can be brought crashing down by a single point of failure. That speaks to me of a more fundamental issue within some of the control systems.

I would just like to ask the Treasury Minister when the systems of controls in place around benefit payments were last reviewed by Internal Audit; and whether this review that he is now undertaking will be done again by Internal Audit, by the Treasury Minister’s own team, by an external expert – who is it that is doing this review as well?

The Minister: I do not think the system came crashing down, Mr President. There was a point of failure but, as the Hon. Member knows, the staff worked incredibly hard to rectify the issue. The simple fact is we make the payments by the Bacs system, the Bacs system takes three working days to process and in this failure of event we were able to reprocess the format of the transaction and have them paid by a faster pay facility.

We are currently examining whether the data can be, in fact, reformatted on a permanent basis so that in the future we can simply transfer the data, were there to be a failure with the Bacs system on to the faster pay system.

And doesn't get an answer except: nothing to see here, no need to change anything, moving forward. 

Though it's interesting that the mistake must have been made on Monday and not noticed until a member of the public rang a mate up on Thursday.

15 minutes ago, Terminal said:

And sending BACS requires more than one person to authorise the payments so surely both people might’ve wondered why they weren’t sending any benefits that day. 

Quite.  As you can see it from the above the "reason that the payments were not made was that an email prompt to authorise the Bacs payment process was sent to an incorrect email address".   And Edge later got the confirmation that it was an internal e-mail that was involved (she asked about data breach).  So some people were being a bit dozy.

Hooper incidentally had a second go at getting any sense out of Cannan and got the reply: "Treasury officers are working closely with Internal Audit. Internal Audit will provide a report to me and other Treasury politicians tomorrow morning and we will progress matters from there".  But you wonder why it took nearly a week.

Could be worse too. Could be that this is the sender and recipient's sole weekly responsibilities....

And the first didn't, so the second didn't either. Wonder what they do for the rest of the week?

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Does anybody know how the 9,850 customers on benefits is broken down into indivdual groups, as it seems a very high number on benefits.

I'm guessing that pensions, child support and disabled allowances are in there too?

A big shock for Conister when all those motorhome and speedboat repayments don't go through eh?

14 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Does anybody know how the 9,850 customers on benefits is broken down into indivdual groups, as it seems a very high number on benefits.

It is when you consider that this is just the ones (apparently) who receive direct into their bank accounts. What about all the others who claim cash via their Mi cards at Post Offices as well?

Archived