Manx Tunnel

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Archetypal EU vanity project to waste taxpayers' money.

The EU doesn't seem to have anything much to do with it - any more than they do for Crossrail.  It's possible that there may be some loans from the EIB involved (as there were for Crossrail) but there won't be any other investment.  Strange as it may seem, some countries are capable of making a mess of things with very little help from Brussels.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

They complicate things unnecessarily. It's the Crossrail tech that's the big problem. The civil engineering infrastructure has largely been good to go for some time.

The main problem seems to be the signalling software.  Which I suppose is unnecessary providing you don't want to run any trains.  Though some of the stations aren't anything like completed either.

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The main problem seems to be the signalling software.  Which I suppose is unnecessary providing you don't want to run any trains.  Though some of the stations aren't anything like completed either.

Facetious, Mr Mexico. I will point out the obvious. The signalling software IS unnecessarily overcomplex. Signalling is necessary if you wish to run trains but overcomplexity is not. Our modern railway is riddled with novel overcomplex technology which might suit the supplier but not necessarily the operator, the taxpayer or the passenger. Such work that remains at stations has been slowed because of the delays caused by the tech. 

A tunnel will never happen, well certainly not in my lifetime anyway, I wish it was technically possible though. Only way even in the future it could possibly happen is if the IOM was governed by the UK but it would make the likes of Steam-packet and Stena line completely redundant well providing they can build the tunnel high enough to take double decker trailers and future proof it.

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

A tunnel will never happen, well certainly not in my lifetime anyway, I wish it was technically possible though. Only way even in the future it could possibly happen is if the IOM was governed by the UK but it would make the likes of Steam-packet and Stena line completely redundant well providing they can build the tunnel high enough to take double decker trailers and future proof it.

Didn't they build one in Dublin just before the introduction of the larger trailers rendering instantly useless?

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Didn't they build one in Dublin just before the introduction of the larger trailers rendering instantly useless?

Think that’s apocryphal. There’s a tunnel from the docks at East Wall that becomes the M50 Dublin outer ring motorway. It takes usual artics, to/from the port to the M1 North, or round the M50 to the radial motorways and N roads.

I think it came from an Irish Times editorial when previous maximum height regulations were revoked during tunnelling 

see this https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/height-restrictions-of-dublin-port-tunnel-1.359594

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wasn’t something I’ve read about before but yeah it was designed to take a standard DD trailer but not a super cube trailer/ extra height decker trailer. As one of the many comments stated a standard motorway bridge is a minimum of 16'6 and has been for 30 years yet the maximum height for Dublin tunnel is 15’3.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But they're actually starting the process to build one in Malta.  There seems to be no idea so silly that somewhere won't try it if it involves giving lots of money to building firms.

I hadn’t heard about this.

Seems a shame in a way, likely to dilute the character of the place (same would be the case for the IOM I guess).

There’s also something lost when places are easier to get to I think. I remember a factoid I was told about the amount of time people spent at the Grand Canyon before and after it had a road leading to it. 

IOM to Gozo non-stop was probably my most epic road trip ever, during my brief stint as an international cat smuggler.

12 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

You seriously did that? 

I did. Always have enjoyed a long drive, though clearly when I say ‘epic’ I mean ‘utterly stupid’ with regard to that trip. I was naive, thought I was invincible, knew it all, business to grow, staff to pay, etc, etc. Customer wants the impossible... sure, no problem and all that shite. 

Did IOM to Algeciras non stop in a 2.25 Diesel Series 3 Landy once too, but that was with another driver, for fun! The Gozo trip I was on my own on the way down, and working. Was there for a day, then drove home. 

Thankfully the customer turned not long after that. Set the lawyers to kill at any cost after I requested a change to the schedule before the trip due to the imminent birth of my daughter (request not met obviously). Only the lawyers won after that. But at least I was insured, had a bit of stuffing knocked out or sense knocked in if you prefer - and learned how to say no to people with big cheque books. Did me a favour really.

Edited by James Hampton
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...