Colin Hinds

quilp

My mate Colin Hinds succumbed to cancer and died earlier today. A local fella originally, who left the Island years ago to pursue a successful music career as a guitarist. He succeeded in playing for China Crisis, Eurythmics, Mike and the Mechanics, Toyah Wilcox, Paul Carrick and quite a few other top line bands. A man of endless talent and an inspiration for other muso's he played with. And a good man all round.

Sorely missed...

This is a track which he put together...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

This is rather a sad photo, taken when, I'm not so sure. In it we see, top row right, Anglin Buttimore (deceased). Bottom left, Charlie Cannell (deceased), bottom middle, John Herdman (deceased), bottom right, Colin Hinds (deceased). Hard to express my sadness when I see this. Though not victims of the virus it was Anglin's recent demise that had me looking through my archive. Played in various local bands with all of them, with the exception of John Herdman being another drummer, whom some of you may remember as an ace cartoonist back in the day. Charlie Cannell, husband of Brenda, the 'slow-hand' of the bass guitar. He had a style which exemplified the 'space between' meaning it's not what you play but what you don't play. Especially-so when it came to funk and reggae. And then there's the late, great Colin Hinds. His music and style spoke more than I can say. Anglin Buttimore, all-round muso and sound engineer could play any style and a welcome influence on me in the early days. As was his brother Simon, also deceased a couple of years ago.

As the song goes, "Only the good die young." (yes, I know Ang was 65 but hey...)

The second image was taken at the Peppermint Palace/Joe's Cafe with Colin's brother Dave Hinds on guitar.

IMG_1670.JPG

1587247502060_IMG_1671.JPG

Edited by quilp
Rip fella's miss you all...
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

This thread is probably a suitable place to post some more sad news.

A good friend and sometime bandmate of Colin passed away earlier. Another great contributor to the local music scene with the band G.A.S.P.

Sad stuff...

Stevie Parry RIP. 

Screenshot_20211015-173104_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, quilp said:

This thread is probably a suitable place to post some more sad news.

A good friend and sometime bandmate of Colin passed away earlier. Another great contributor to the local music scene with the band G.A.S.P.

Sad stuff...

Stevie Parry RIP. 

Screenshot_20211015-173104_Gallery.jpg

I had the pleasure of working with Steve some years ago. Sad loss to the local music scene. RIP Steve