IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Telegraph today...

Passengers arriving at British airports and ports will be placed in quarantine for up to a fortnight, under plans for the "second phase" of the Government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Officials are drawing up a scheme that mirrors the 14-day "stay home" notices currently issued to Singaporean citizens returning to their country from abroad. It could be rolled out as early as next month, and include large fines for those who fail to remain at the address given to authorities as their place of isolation.

The radical plan, being overseen by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, and Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, is intended to stop the transmission of Covid-19 from abroad, when the Government launches its "track and trace" strategy to identify and isolate cases of the virus in the UK. It would apply to both British citizens and those from abroad.

A little bit behind the curve there aren't they? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Telegraph today...

Passengers arriving at British airports and ports will be placed in quarantine for up to a fortnight, under plans for the "second phase" of the Government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Officials are drawing up a scheme that mirrors the 14-day "stay home" notices currently issued to Singaporean citizens returning to their country from abroad. It could be rolled out as early as next month, and include large fines for those who fail to remain at the address given to authorities as their place of isolation.

The radical plan, being overseen by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, and Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, is intended to stop the transmission of Covid-19 from abroad, when the Government launches its "track and trace" strategy to identify and isolate cases of the virus in the UK. It would apply to both British citizens and those from abroad.

That doesn’t answer the question. I’m not getting at you. It’s a genuine question.  

The use of “Transmission from abroad” and UK. For travel purposes IoM is within the UK border, it isn’t abroad.

Sounds as if it’s international arrivals. Ie anyone arriving from abroad. 

Usual Priti Patel lack of clarity and poor Telegraph reporting? 

I'm just the messenger, it's very vague to me too.

Not sure how you can have a CTA and IOM within UK border if travel from UK is restricted and UK not with IOM border?

As an aside, lots of building frustration on various forums regarding lack of reciprocation between differing countries. e.g. Caribbean countries refusing any sort of landing or medical aid to visiting UK yachts stuck there (understandable to a degree) but at the same time requesting / demanding aid / food / medical facilities from RN ships (Argus etc.) currently en-route. 

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

9 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

As an aside, lots of building frustration on various forums regarding lack of reciprocation between differing countries. e.g. Caribbean countries refusing any sort of landing or medical aid to visiting UK yachts stuck there (understandable to a degree) but at the same time requesting / demanding aid / food / medical facilities from RN ships (Argus etc.). 

How are the yachts "stuck" there?

39 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Would that be outside of the Common Travel Area or literally ports & airports of Great Britain?

And doesn’t that show how careful we have to be to get the terminology correct. Surely they can’t be intending to limit travel from Belfast to GB, ie within the UK?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Not sure how you can have a CTA and IOM within UK border if travel from UK is restricted and UK not with IOM border?

As an aside, lots of building frustration on various forums regarding lack of reciprocation between differing countries. e.g. Caribbean countries refusing any sort of landing or medical aid to visiting UK yachts stuck there (understandable to a degree) but at the same time requesting / demanding aid / food / medical facilities from RN ships (Argus etc.) currently en-route. 

1. You were very sure 7 posts earlier.

2. There’s a legal challenge being raised, I believe.

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

How are the yachts "stuck" there?

Cannot get sufficient fuel / water / supplies or crew for a West to East Atlantic crossing, cannot get into Trinidad or Tobago (out of the hurricane zone), cannot get into US. All Azores ports closed to visiting traffic so minimum 4,000 mile sail to UK. No guaranteed UK entry. Have to cross atlantic before end of May is usual insurance company requirement for follow-on hurricanes west-east (i.e. after they have done Carib) but cannot get sufficiently prepared by then etc. etc.

1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I don't understand how there can be a 'Common' travel area that is not common' both ways?

It’s a common external border ( a mini Schengen ). There have always been anomalies, like exclusion orders from GB.

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

But with a one-way internal border?

Yes, between GB and Northern Ireland. The UK used internal exile frequently. For certain people, obviously.

The IoM border inbound isn’t actually closed. There are restrictions. You have to have permission to travel, from a sponsoring body. And special arrangements for returning a Manx residents.

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, between GB and Northern Ireland. The UK used internal exile frequently. For certain people, obviously.

The IoM border inbound isn’t actually closed. There are restrictions. You have to have permission to travel, from a sponsoring body. And special arrangements for returning a Manx residents.

I get all of that - but it is not 'common'. Were I to travel to UK as a 'Key' person (in the UK) then I would probably not get back in here (without 14 day quarantine). My wife would be the other way round. We could both travel to UK, but only one of us would get back. So, unless we have to, we won't go, but if we did....

In effect, the UK recognises my need to travel between my key work in the UK and my home on the Island - and allows me to do so together with my wife. The Island would permit my wife back in but not me (without quarantine). It is not 'common'.

20 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I get all of that - but it is not 'common'. Were I to travel to UK as a 'Key' person (in the UK) then I would probably not get back in here (without 14 day quarantine). My wife would be the other way round. We could both travel to UK, but only one of us would get back. So, unless we have to, we won't go, but if we did....

In effect, the UK recognises my need to travel between my key work in the UK and my home on the Island - and allows me to do so together with my wife. The Island would permit my wife back in but not me (without quarantine). It is not 'common'.

I’m pretty sure that’s not an accurate description of the practical effect of the IoM and UK emergency regulations as they affect you and Mrs Aururaneus.

I may well be wrong, but we seem to be operating in a (quickly changing) set of scenarios between emergency law, local and police interpretation of same, and advice lines manned by people who until recently were in entirely different jobs. I do understand the difficulties that the people running this are having, I really do.  It is not easy and it is not black and white.

But, given my reading of the laws, the daily briefings, and two calls to the advice line - the best educated guess that I have been able to come up with is that both of us could go to UK  (to do key work there) but only one could come back unhindered. I may be wrong, but that's my best guess until its put to the test??

I'm not losing any sleep over it because for us, being together comes first, so its both of us or none - but I just cannot see commonality between UK-IOM travel and vice-versa. Hopefully it will remain untested and therefore academic.