IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

My reading is

1. you can both stay here. No issues.

2. There is nothing to stop either of you going away to UK. Whether or not you or your wife may be key workers is wholly irrelevant. There’s no exit restriction leaving the Island or entry restriction entering UK. Key worker status in UK may affect where you can go and what you can do once you arrive. Returning for you both is very different.

3. if you leave IoM you can only return with IoM government permission, and,  if you aren’t a Manx key worker, with a sponsoring employer, you can only do it via the repatriation route and 2 weeks paid for quarantine in the Comis. And then there’s a question as to whether they’d allow you to return if you’d knowingly departed during lock down, rather than being caught off island when lock down was imposed.

4. your wife might travel for non Manx work related reasons. In that case her position isn’t much different to yours. If she travels off island as part of her Manx key worker job, sponsored by her government department employer, then she can return.

5. you are missing the meaning of common in CTA. It’s the common external border. Not internal travel within the CTA once inside that common border.

The new UK rules need to be clarified. There are still many Manx residents stuck overseas.  With the new rule they might have to do 14 days quarantine in the UK and then 14 days after coming to IOM.

I know that some countries like Australia  allowed people to fly in local  flights (in country )after landing at the international airport and the 14 day period started after you reach home.

Not sure how this would work as IOM as we are technically a separate place. 

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My reading is

1. you can both stay here. No issues.

2. There is nothing to stop either of you going away to UK. Whether or not you or your wife may be key workers is wholly irrelevant. There’s no exit restriction leaving the Island or entry restriction entering UK. Key worker status in UK may affect where you can go and what you can do once you arrive. Returning for you both is very different.

3. if you leave IoM you can only return with IoM government permission, and,  if you aren’t a Manx key worker, with a sponsoring employer, you can only do it via the repatriation route and 2 weeks paid for quarantine in the Comis. And then there’s a question as to whether they’d allow you to return if you’d knowingly departed during lock down, rather than being caught off island when lock down was imposed.

4. your wife might travel for non Manx work related reasons. In that case her position isn’t much different to yours. If she travels off island as part of her Manx key worker job, sponsored by her government department employer, then she can return.

5. you are missing the meaning of common in CTA. It’s the common external border. Not internal travel within the CTA once inside that common border.

Your points 1-4 are indeed technically correct but miss a massive point entirely. i.e. There is no reciprocation!

IOMG permission is indeed both needed and given for let's call it 'Manx Key Work'.  That's fair enough. It recognises that my wife may need to travel between UK and IOM for Manx Key Work.

But it does not recognise, in return, that my wife might also need to travel between the two jurisdictions for 'UK Key Work'!

What that says is (let us depersonalise this now) - If a person works on the Island as a key worker one week, but then works in the UK the next week (i.e. chooses to leave the Island for non-island reasons) - then what they could have done is stay on the Island for the second week, forgone their duties / obligations to the UK, and then picked up Island duties again week three.

I.e. Island gets what it needs, then stay on Island for a dead week, UK can sod off. 100% fulfilment of IOM obligations, 0% fulfilment UK obligations.

Er. No.

18 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

The new UK rules need to be clarified. There are still many Manx residents stuck overseas.  With the new rule they might have to do 14 days quarantine in the UK and then 14 days after coming to IOM.

I know that some countries like Australia  allowed people to fly in local  flights (in country )after landing at the international airport and the 14 day period started after you reach home.

Not sure how this would work as IOM as we are technically a separate place. 

Just watched the UK daily briefing and am happy to clarify. From BBC.

16:37

'Conscious decision' by UK not to close borders

Asked about reports that the government might introduce quarantine for international travellers arriving in the UK, Mr Eustice says "no decisions" have been made.

He says that as the UK moves to a new phase, at some point in the future "international travel could become a more significant risk to manage".

So far there have been few additional measures at airports because international travel represents "only a tiny proportion" of cases, Mr Eustice says.

The government had "taken a conscious decision not to close our borders" to "keep trade flowing".

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Cannot get sufficient fuel / water / supplies or crew for a West to East Atlantic crossing, cannot get into Trinidad or Tobago (out of the hurricane zone), cannot get into US. All Azores ports closed to visiting traffic so minimum 4,000 mile sail to UK. No guaranteed UK entry. Have to cross atlantic before end of May is usual insurance company requirement for follow-on hurricanes west-east (i.e. after they have done Carib) but cannot get sufficiently prepared by then etc. etc.

What about the BVI?

46 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What about the BVI?

Do you mean as an alternative place of refuge?

Found this;

Dear Guest,
Welcome to this COVID-19 Update page of the British Virgin Islands Tourist Board & Film Commission.  As the COVID-19 Pandemic continues to impact the travel industry, each country and territory is making the hard decisions necessary to control the entry and spread of the virus in their locale.  The British Virgin Islands is no exception as the Government of the Virgin Islands’ priority is to protect the health and safety of its visitors and residents.

Effective Thursday, March 19, 2020, the Government of the British Virgin Islands has restricted all travel into the Territory by visitors stating that entry into the British Virgin Islands by sea or air is prohibited for all passengers, who are not nationals, belongers, work permit holders or persons ordinarily resident in the Territory, or their dependents.  The travel restriction will not apply to flight crews, diplomats or freight, cargo or courier craft or vessels.

Given the rapidly changing state of international travel with the imminent closure of a number of regional and international gateways along with flight cancellations and schedule changes, we are urging visitors to contact their airlines to make arrangements for departures as soon as possible.

Please check this page regularly for updated information on travel to the BVI and COVID-19, as well as the BVI Government’s COVID-19 information page at  www.bvi.gov.vg/covid-19.

We urge you to observe the recommendations of health experts and stay safe and healthy during this challenging period. 
Sincerely,
Sharon Flax Brutus 
Director of Tourism

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

2 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Your points 1-4 are indeed technically correct but miss a massive point entirely. i.e. There is no reciprocation!

But it does not recognise, in return, that my wife might also need to travel between the two jurisdictions for 'UK Key Work'!

What that says is (let us depersonalise this now) - If a person works on the Island as a key worker one week, but then works in the UK the next week (i.e. chooses to leave the Island for non-island reasons) - then what they could have done is stay on the Island for the second week, forgone their duties / obligations to the UK, and then picked up Island duties again week three.

I.e. Island gets what it needs, then stay on Island for a dead week, UK can sod off. 100% fulfilment of IOM obligations, 0% fulfilment UK obligations.

Er. No.

You keep on shifting position.

First you claimed there were going to be arrival restrictions for Movement from IoM to GB. Then you admitted your linked source didn’t actually say that. 

Then you said the CTA wasn’t common. When it was explained that common referred to it’s common external boundary you’ve dropped that.

Now it’s reciprocation. Tell me one Pair of  jurisdictions which have reciprocal Covid emergency regulations? 

And in your worked example, depersonalised, there is another option. Go to Uk in week 2.  Do one week on one week off in UK. IoM loses out. Your theoretical Mrs A loses out either way. That’s pretty reciprocal. Hobson’s Choice reciprocal.

Im fully with you. Manx residents should be able to come back and self isolate, not pay for quarantine. But hard cases make poor/bad law. Political opinion wouldn’t allow it. It’s a pandemic. Niceties tend to get lost. And our graphs are looking pretty good. So the test of proportionality may have  been met.

E84C3453-6A4D-49E6-A944-DF41EE39BE84.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You keep on shifting position.

First you claimed there were going to be arrival restrictions for Movement from IoM to GB. Then you admitted your linked source didn’t actually say that. 

Then you said the CTA wasn’t common. When it was explained that common referred to it’s common external boundary you’ve dropped that.

Now it’s reciprocation. Tell me one Pair of  jurisdictions which have reciprocal Covid emergency regulations? 

And in your worked example, depersonalised, there is another option. Go to Uk in week 2.  Do one week on one week off in UK. IoM loses out. Your theoretical Mrs A loses out either way. That’s pretty reciprocal. Hobson’s Choice reciprocal.

Im fully with you. Manx residents should be able to come back and self isolate, not pay for quarantine. But hard cases make poor/bad law. Political opinion wouldn’t allow it. It’s a pandemic. Niceties tend to get lost. And our graphs are looking pretty good. So the test of proportionality may have  been met.

E84C3453-6A4D-49E6-A944-DF41EE39BE84.jpeg

Let's just agree to disagree eh? 

13 hours ago, Wilson said:

It’s is quite simple really. An island Jail , people will leave , one way . Like people in the NHS , carehomes etc. Iom would be fucked , just don’t get it . Me? Abandon island pronto.

Instead of wasting time on here, concentrate on your schoolwork. Top of your list should be English...

On 4/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, yootalkin2me said:

Also, how long do you think this lockdown should go on for then?

A difficult one, it depends. I'll try a sort of consensus approach. You see I want to get back to work and earn some money. I have mortgage, bills and family to provide for. Plus I am looking to buy a new car and I could do with a skiing holiday - how about next week? I don't want my savings to get too depleted, so at a push say a week or two? I dunno, this staying at home could get a bit boring so maybe aye, say next week or something? I could probably stick it out for a week or two more if I really had to but not much after that. I'm getting a bit sick of this food too and could do with a pint down the pub. Aye, a pint down the pub. So yeah a week? I've run out of things I want to watch on Netflix so any time soon will do me. I can hack it for a bit longer, not sure about the rest of the household but yeah, I wouldn't mind getting back to work. Say a week or two.

You might get a better reply if you could ask the family of someone who is lying on a slab. Or even someone working at Noble's, although I am sure they want this to end ASAP.

• Like 2