IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Just repeating what he has told me. Were I to be bothered I'd post a list of the things that can knock him out, it's on his Facebook page.

Thanks for caring, you're a total sweetie-pie.

I don't care, I'm also no sweetie-pie and not once have I ever claimed to be. I care about some people but not all of them, I've got more sympathy and empathy for Syrian or Afghan refugees getting drowned escaping a war torn country than I have for your friend just as you'll no doubt care more about your friend than you do for me or mine and to say anything contrary to that is utter bullshit and you know it.

• Sad 1

Yes , it has given a lot of people a false sense of security this is where it may fall down.   I know we have to move forward and this has been a brave move which may work if all the elderly and vunerable still act cautiously and stay home apart from a couple of brisk walks keeping a good distance from other people.   Unfortunately for  a lot of the general public it will be a schools out feeling and they will just go back to normal except those who are not working will have more time to get out and move around the Island.   Gardeners and window cleaners .....yes but taking the brake off personal time out completely.....no.   Unfortunately common sense is a thing of the past it has been unfashionable for years and there is no cure for stupidity.   I hope for the best but fear the worst with this action .

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Most mornings when I get out of bed I open the window and up until this morning the traffic noise out on the main road in Onchan has been very, very light. This morning was different, a lot more traffic noise. Some clearly think the lockdown is over.

From the other thread:

15 hours ago, P.K. said:

I doubt it's practical to test every island resident so you have to make a judgement call, preferably evidence based, that it's safe to let some folks go back to work. Hopefully including the fuckwit factor of course.

Good luck with that one...

And there's the problem.

It's no good the OP bitching about how other countries have dealt with it when none of them are the IOM. In this situation large high density conurbations will have a completely different dynamic from a scattering of small towns and villages.

Still waiting to hear what "politics" drove the lockdown....?

• Like 1

sorry the 1 post OP is either a clever bot or trolling as pretty much all his claims are total rubbish and can be refuted, especially since it was only reported this weekend that Sweden for example is having a case spike.

Still i bit so i guess his post worked.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

How can you be sure, are you medically qualified as well as being qualified in just about everything else on planet Earth?

My point weeks and weeks ago was to isolate the vulnerable and allow everyone else to be free, let the virus do it's thing and then slowly die off and then when/if a vaccine is created let this a who wish to have it, have it.

By your logic we should either ban all forms of transport, or at least reduce the speed of road vehicles to 10mph and reduce the frequency of all other forms of transport because people die of it and we must reduce those rates of death, continue down this line and the whole world comes to a complete standstill forever.

wish somebody would isolate you... permanently

• Thanks 1

I thank those of you who have provided feedback to my original posting. In reply to “GD4ELI”, what you are calling "money" I understand as the economy, which is our livelihood and the only sustainable source of all the tax revenue that allows the government to fund a good health care service, fund pensions and other basic welfare services, fund good education, maintain basic infrastructure and so on. If the cure to Covid-19 harms the tax base, all those services provided by the government, including the treatment of the many illnesses other than Covid-19, will be impaired. If your friend is vulnerable to Covid-19, he/she is also unfortunately vulnerable to flu, pneumonia and other conditions that a well funded health care service may be able to treat.

“The Chief” said that I am a “clever bot” (I wish I had designed a bot that clever to do things...) and that my claims are based on rubbish ideas. The figures I quoted about the pandemic are immediately available on Worldmeter (web site “www.worldometers.info/coronavirus”) and a lot of other sources. Sweden is having less than half Covid-19 cases and mortality than Britain on a per-capita basis and just a few days ago the scientists there in charge of controlling the pandemic have said that heard immunity will be reached by the end of May. UK newspapers have widely reported that claim, which is in line with my understanding of the profile of this pandemic.

There are a few Covid-19 issues specific to this island that I wish to point out; I will write down them later on the same Max Forums’s topic.

Edited by Filippo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Filippo said:

I thank those of you who have provided feedback to my original posting. In reply to “GD4ELI”, what you are calling "money" I understand as the economy, which is our livelihood and the only sustainable source of all the tax revenue that allows the government to fund a good health care service, fund pensions and other basic welfare services, fund good education, maintain basic infrastructure and so on. If the cure to Covid-19 harms the tax base, all those services provided by the government, including the treatment of the many illnesses other than Covid-19, will be impaired. If your friend is vulnerable to Covid-19, he/she is also unfortunately vulnerable to flu, pneumonia and other conditions that a well funded health care service may be able to treat.

“The Chief” said that I am a “clever bot” (I wish I had designed a bot that clever to do things...) and that my claims are based on rubbish ideas. The figures I quoted about the pandemic are immediately available on Worldmeter (web site “www.worldometers.info/coronavirus”) and a lot of other sources. Sweden is having less than half Covid-19 cases and mortality than Britain on a per-capita basis and just a few days ago the scientists there in charge of controlling the pandemic have said that heard immunity will be reached by the end of May. UK newspapers have widely reported that claim, which is in line with my understanding of the profile of this pandemic.

There are a few Covid-19 issues specific to this island that I wish to point out; I will write down them later on the same Max Forums’s topic.

Herd Immunity can only work if enough folks catch the disease, survive it, and are then immune because they have produced enough antibodies to keep it at bay.

As yet all unproven....

• Like 1

In view of the progress of the Chinese Plague appearing to have some 7 to10 days behind the UK would it not be advisable for anything such as easing of lockdown to also follow 7 to 10 days after what is being done in the UK?

50 minutes ago, Rog said:

In view of the progress of the Chinese Plague appearing to have some 7 to10 days behind the UK would it not be advisable for anything such as easing of lockdown to also follow 7 to 10 days after what is being done in the UK?

The UK are not doing very well so why the hell should we follow what they are doing?

1 hour ago, Rog said:

we are different to the UK, we have stopped the virus being "imported" if you will it is contained the UK are still allowing flights in. The calls to 111 here are decreasing, as the chief minister said yesterday this will be going on for a while the borders may well not be opened again for a number of months so why not trust the people of the Island to act sensibly and give them more freedom to do things? if say in 3 months the numbers here are the same as they are now would people still want a lock down? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Filippo said:

I presume you were accused of being a bot because it was assumed that no living person would be stupid enough to pick Sweden as a good example of what should be done.  They decided to go with the discredited 'herd immunity' approach and deaths have soared as a result - much more so that their Scandinavian neighbours.  Indeed so high it is now in ninth place in the deaths per capita list - just one place above the Isle of Man (I'm sure Quayle will be bragging about that later on).  The fact that the UK, which effectively followed the same approach until too late and with added incompetence and bullshit, is doing even worse should be surprise.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It didn't help the uk that 100,000 people attended the Cheltenham festival, or the Liverpool match with 5000 imported Spanish supporters. The well-attended funerals of various denominations in Birmingham, London and Bristol. Some band (the name escapes me) concert. Or, well, do a search of where the spikes and clusters have occurred. It's hardly coincidence. Imagine where we might've been after TT, or our usual annual festivals. 

• Like 4