Northern Civic Amenity Site

Last Ten

The  Northern Civic Amenity site will be opening this weekend but the red tape is amusing, I understand the need for social distancing etc, etc but this is the Ramsey Commissioners at its very best, H&S will have led the Commissioners press notice.

Just have a look at them bullet points, don't forget to book a slot and whats that all about maintaining access for the Emergency Services??!  

Love that NO help will be given on site, well fuck all has changed there!

Link - https://www.ramsey.gov.im/services/northern-civic-amenity-site/?fbclid=IwAR1I2s4MdHbPdvt4Hu3jAuNreQh12niZdk125a1mBwygAB16MoSySF_hElg

The Northern Civic Amenity Site at Balladoole will open this weekend.

The site will operate its normal advertised working hours. However there are other restrictions that will apply for the foreseeable future.

The site will open 8am Saturday 25th April 2020 to residents of the Northern Parishes ONLY.

Last admission is 15 minutes before closing:

Monday – Thursday and Saturday   8am - 4:30pm

Friday                                          8am – 4pm

Sunday                                        9am – 4:30pm

To avoid the rush to the site and long queues of vehicles on the main road, and to ensure that we maintain access for emergency services beyond our site we are going to be operating a booking system, where people will need to book a time to visit the site for the first couple of weeks initially, however this could be extended depending on the pandemic.

A slot should be booked by clicking here.  In extreme circumstances it can be arranged over the phone during working hours by ringing 01624 810100.

• ONLY visit the site if you really need too; be considerate of other users around the North of the Island who will need to use the site as site access is going to be very restricted
  • ONLY 3 cars will be allowed on site at a time
  • You will be limited to no longer than 10 minutes on site, so do not overfill your vehicles as you will be asked to leave site after your time
  • NO trailers will be allowed on site
  • You must observe the 2m social distancing at all times
  • We recommend one person per car per household
  • Waste must be broken down in to manageable bags for one person to move, as help will NOT be given on site
  • Waste must be broken down, compacted and separated prior to entering site. Due to the limited material that we are accepting the gantries have been re-organised for

Household burnable

Green waste – Cuttings only, no hedges or trees

• We will not be taking recycling items at this time, but this will be reviewed on a regular basis
  • DO NOT turn up on the off chance that you can get access to the site as you will not be allowed on site
  • Make sure that you give yourself enough time to get to the site for your slot

Please remember that the staff are only following instructions laid out for them during the pandemic to ensure everyone’s safety, so be patient and polite.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the headline on the article on iomtoday - "Tips to begin reopening". Seem to remember a few years ago that there was great emphasis that the AS weren't to be referred to as "tips"; they were "Amenity and Recycling" facilities. Which somebody probably got paid a lot of money to come up with.

It's also noticeable that all the other Amenity Sites that are reopening simultaneously haven't got half the bagatelle that RTC are insisting on. Probably somebody justifying their job in Ramsey Town Hall. Perhaps they could employ more amenity site staff instead?

20 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Just have a look at them bullet points, don't forget to book a slot and whats that all about maintaining access for the Emergency Services??!  

Love that NO help will be given on site, well fuck all has changed there!

Access "beyond" our site is what they say. I suspect this is because fucking idiots will park along the Bride Road waiting to get in and potentially block the road for any emergency vehicles heading past. It seems sensible traffic planning to me.

I did LOL at the other line tho:D

@Last Ten that press release seems like a perfectly reasonable attempt to come up with a plan to try to carefully get things moving whilst avoiding the kind of close proximity chaos which would potentially make staff or visitors uncomfortable or put lives at risk.

Your response seems somewhere north of silly. And somewhere south of nasty.

3 hours ago, Last Ten said:

H&S will have led the Commissioners press notice.

Der! Yeah health and safety right. It's not like we're in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic or anything right?

It seems time that the comment about emergency service access is an appreciation that there may be a high demand for the “Amenity Site” due to its closure for the last few weeks. This demand was created by the closure that they panicked into rather than come up with a range of measures, which they have now done, but that were equally relevant  when the closure was announced. 
It would be nice to have people in Government, nationally and locally, who can exercise balanced judgement at the appropriate times. When this does happen, it is a noteworthy event. 

That doesn't help me.  I've been putting all the burnable recycling in the wheelie bin for the last few weeks, just saving the non-burnable glass bottles and cans, which they say they are still not going to accept, and I compost all my green waste apart from the woody material like branches, which they say they are also still not going to accept.

Archived