Comin IQ halved Chris Thomas sacked.

Holte End

3 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I think Howard will move David Ashford to Policy and Reform.

Protecting him from what is to come from DHSC, even in the short term after Covid.

Good shout that. A new Minister won’t go to Policy and Reform.

Anyway, Thomas was on thin ice voting against COMIN because, undemocratic as it is, those are the rules of club COMIN. Quayle will have enjoyed demonstrating that he’s the great almighty Wizard of Oz and Oxford PPE degree or not, Thomas was a waffling bag of wind. All that alleged intellect wasted on delivering exactly nothing other than a succession of convoluted vacuous speeches.

So what does this all reveal? Well, nothing we didn’t know already. The political system here is a stranger to democratic principles and its practitioners, illustrated this time by Quayle and Thomas, are piss-poor. Who didn’t know either of those facts?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, asitis said:

I like this quote from Quayle almost perfect in its irony ...

I am a firm believer in diversity of opinion and thought. 

Quayle doesn’t know what thought is.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Is there any need to appoint a new cabinet office minister for policy and reform?

Yes, if you’re Chief Minister. To restore COMIN’s voting weight in Keys and Tynwald.

I'm interested in hearing/reading directly from CT ss to why he couldn't toe-the-line. Until then I'll reserve judgement. Perhaps he might use MF to explain his reason and thoughts behind the decision (but as succinctly as possible, please!).

Thomas is a man of above-average COMIN intellect who achieved very little apart from taking up significant airtime with his ability to string together many meaningless words. It will be both interesting and depressing to see what other under-achiever is allowed to put his feet on the ladder of ambition to succeed him. The Government is being run by the insiduous and secretive Will Greenhow, who must be wallowing like a slug in a pool of his own slime with the Emergency Powers. Thomas was at least right to question these. Quayle does not have the wit, vision or grasp of detail to do anything else than read out the speeches that Greenhow writes for him. If our system had any shred of democracy, it has now gone, with the applause of most of the conned public.  

24 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

This rule was in long before the present government you cannot blame them for adhering to it although all the CMs haters will.  I hope Shimmins gets no where near Comin he is a nuisance as he is.

we can blame them for not abolishing the rule yet and stifling democracy , and we thought buster was a crook with peoples votes.

Am I missing something? Chris Thomas may have been sacked for not toeing the COMIN line...but why does planning need special powers for the duration of the COVID period anyway? Particularly a reduction in the means of making representation or objection?

On paper at least, we could be looking at the end of this crisis, at least locally. So why does a relatively long term process like local planning need emergency amendment?

10 hours ago, Josem said:

I thought it was pretty impressive to see a politician put his commitment to transparency and public participation in the planning process ahead of his Ministerial role. That's gutsy, Thomas will pay the financial cost here to do what he thinks is right. That shows some decent courage to stick by his beliefs.

What were those beliefs? I haven't read or heard anywhere (yet) that gives us a clue as to what he was objecting to and why. I think we should wait for the detail.

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Which is why I think they'll appoint a yes man/woman to the role.

Lawrie Hooper is being groomed for the job. They get them all onside in the end*.There'll be plenty to massage his ego for a while and let him know what a wonderful person he is and then gently, gently bring him round.

That's the way it goes. It worked a treat with CT. He got his feet right under the Tynwald table as soon as he left the hall where his election count was announced. I wonder is his conscience finally emerging?

*although Peter Karran was a tough nut to crack but he is a particularly unusual case.

Archived