Comin IQ halved Chris Thomas sacked.

Holte End

Why perpetuate the charade that everyone agrees with everything when the reality is you MUST agree with everything or get put on the minus ministerial money naughty step!

Yes, it is that childish...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I still dont really understand. What's the point of having a vote if there's only one option to choose? Why even have a  vote?

He actually had two votes on this. One in CoMin and one under collective responsibility in Tynwald. You take the extra money to be in CoMin you have to vote with CoMin. If you're not doing what you're paid to do then you can't be surprised when you're punished for it.

26 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It'll most likely be Tim "pick me pick me" Baker. With Bill Shimmins or Martyn Perkins as outside hopefuls. A diversity curve ball would be Anne Corlett simply because she doesn't say much and would offer a pleasant reprieve from Chris Thomas.

Lawrie Hooper would fit in with the pattern that Quayle has been following of the Cabinet Office member becoming a minister (Ashford then Allinson). However, he's a little to new in the role, a little to controversial and a little to outspoken.

I'll bet on Ralph Peake. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Haha it's not like he's going on MERA. What a nonsense argument.

I am sorry you don't understand my post. It is not helpful to call other people's views nonsense simply because you do not understand what they are saying. As a Minister, he got paid an extra 50% to the base salary as a member of the House of Keys.

Thus, assuming he does not become a member of a department (which seems like a safe assumption!) he'll suffer a salary drop of a little under a third from what he was paid last month. His take home pay has reduced significantly, costing himself around £1,600/month, before tax.

He's still on a grand a week with an 8k yearly receipt free tax free expense account. Dropping your salary from one high amount to a lower but still high amount for doing less work with less responsibility doesn't make someone a hero.

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Power gone to HQ's head . I'm the big boss man springs to mind ! 

Tynwald needs to pass a vote of no confidence in CoMin in order to get rid of Quayle.

Quayle would be forced to resign, a new CoMin will then be formed and a new Chief Minister appointed.

50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He's still on a grand a week with an 8k yearly receipt free tax free expense account. Dropping your salary from one high amount to a lower but still high amount for doing less work with less responsibility doesn't make someone a hero.

Typical small-minded, myopic viewpoint I'd expect from this island's swamp life. Not everybody is petty and motivated by monetary remuneration: some are motivated by a sense of duty and a passion for improving the lives of others.

Chris Thomas could very easily make more money in the private sector -- something you can't say of most in Tynwald.

The real loss here is to the island, because Chris Thomas really is a decent guy, competent, intelligent, an egalitarian; and we absolutely need somebody like him to be at the heart of government decision-making, especially while they're acting under emergency powers.

Is there any need to appoint a new cabinet office minister for policy and reform? It’s a non job at present and likely to be so for any time prior to the next election.

With two summer recesses, and Covid likely to dominate until the end of 2020, and the legislative programme full, and running behind, there’s not any time to achieve anything.

Agreed, intellectual content of CoMin halved, but common sense and communication, from a very low base, admittedly, doubled.

8 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I still dont really understand. What's the point of having a vote if there's only one option to choose? Why even have a  vote?

it worked for putin, kim jong, mugabe, etc etc, we know what society we actually live in.

Archived