TT 2022 ??

Barlow

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

When are these dratted cars going back one nearly took a motorcyclist out yesterday on the mountain mile.

Or was it the other way round? 

I was watching a pal's bike footage yesterday - a local, who knows the roads and the way the one way works. Literally every bike he came up to he had to back off until he was able to be sure of what line they were going to take. 

And this is the problem. It is a fantastic stretch of road, but there needs to be a big, grown-up conversation as to what it's purpose is for this fortnight.

It is ultimately a fairground ride, and a bloody good one at that! But the conflict between cars and bikes, with riders and drivers who may ordinarily be quick and safe but are unfamiliar with the road cannot be ignored. We are more sophisticated today than when we 'invented' the one way and whilst it solved the problem of the head-on, it has created others.

I still go by the 'ring' approach, where it would be possible to demarcate cars and bikes, and properly deconflict them too, by controlled entry into the route. Whether that is charged for is another question. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Or was it the other way round? 

I was watching a pal's bike footage yesterday - a local, who knows the roads and the way the one way works. Literally every bike he came up to he had to back off until he was able to be sure of what line they were going to take. 

And this is the problem. It is a fantastic stretch of road, but there needs to be a big, grown-up conversation as to what it's purpose is for this fortnight.

It is ultimately a fairground ride, and a bloody good one at that! But the conflict between cars and bikes, with riders and drivers who may ordinarily be quick and safe but are unfamiliar with the road cannot be ignored. We are more sophisticated today than when we 'invented' the one way and whilst it solved the problem of the head-on, it has created others.

I still go by the 'ring' approach, where it would be possible to demarcate cars and bikes, and properly deconflict them too, by controlled entry into the route. Whether that is charged for is another question. 

£50 a run would pay for TT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From one of the TT Facebook Groups. The DOI have already been out making sure bikers can’t park on our hallowed new extra wide pavements. Sadly they forget that there is now nowhere else to park around Loch or Central Prom. So the years of bikes lined up on the pavement are finally over then? 

9D47EF2C-B951-406B-8703-EFAE46A8E6DC.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bandits said:

From one of the TT Facebook Groups. The DOI have already been out making sure bikers can’t park on our hallowed new extra wide pavements. Sadly they forget that there is now nowhere else to park around Loch or Central Prom. So the years of bikes lined up on the pavement are finally over then? 

i wonder if someone will check out the buoyancy of the sign ?? 

• Haha 4

Just now, WTF said:

i wonder if someone will check out the buoyancy of the sign ?? 

If you look at it there are only 25 official bike parking spaces on the prom. You can’t park vans on most of it either and you can get a ticket for parking a bike in a car space. So where are the 1,000s of bikes and other support vehicles going to park? This is just going to be a complete clusterfuck. I give that sign less than a day before it’s floating in the bay. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Maybe they could park on the beach?

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Maybe they could park on the beach?

It’s yet another flaw in this abysmal embarrassing project. So we have a festival every year where thousands of bikers arrive and want to ride into town and spend money. I know. Why don’t we make absolutely no provision for this whatsoever and piss everyone off and make sure they can’t spend any money in the shops as they can’t park anywhere! No doubt they’ll have the business prevention officers out ticketing everyone in sight too if they do dare park on the pavements. 

Now there is no funfair there is no reason why you couldn't have a temporary motorcycle park on the promenade opposite the Sefton , DOI needs  to use its brains , and look to solve bike parking issues , but as usual I suppose they couldn't be arsed !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

It’s yet another flaw in this abysmal embarrassing project. So we have a festival every year where thousands of bikers arrive and want to ride into town and spend money. I know. Why don’t we make absolutely no provision for this whatsoever and piss everyone off and make sure they can’t spend any money in the shops as they can’t park anywhere! No doubt they’ll have the business prevention officers out ticketing everyone in sight too if they do dare park on the pavements. 

There is no funfair on the walkway plus a massive stretch of barren wasteland the other side of the sunken gardens, plenty of parking.