Airport.

Billy kettlefish

There has always been a major issue on the island, in terms of managers failing to deal with problem or problem-causing employees, particularly in the civil and public services, though I have also seen it in several private companies here - more of a problem than I've ever seen when working for companies in the UK.

Possibly it's related to the fact that we are generally a small community and don't like sacking our neighbours, but I think in my experience it's more a general lack of quality management training and experience, and a lack of risk awareness in terms of the likely outcomes for the business.

The result on the island is, 'when the going gets tough, the best get going'.

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

if i was young enough i'd try out for the job , i'm sure i'm a bigger cunt than the incumbent problem down there.

It's more complicated these days...they've got those new fangled jets to cope with now too.

If we have the tech to have self driving cars in busy citys how cant they do something similar with planes?

Lot less cyclists up in the sky to deal with.................

And women drivers, sorry pilots.

Edited by Blade Runner

They do not like to terminate employment of people they employed in the first place, afraid this would be taken as (one of many) a sign of incompetence. But I'm afraid incompetence is the least of their worries, they have to contend with the job evaluation to progress up the cs slippery pole of office worker to manager to higher pay and enhanced pension. Not to worry the person doing the evaluation is just as, maybe even more incompetent.  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

They do not like to terminate employment of people they employed in the first place, afraid this would be taken as (one of many) a sign of incompetence. But I'm afraid incompetence is the least of their worries, they have to contend with the job evaluation to progress up the cs slippery pole of office worker to manager to higher pay and enhanced pension. Not to worry the person doing the evaluation is just as, maybe even more incompetent.  😉

Terminating employment within PS is a complete nightmare, courtesy of the T&Cs that PS has bestowed upon itself, that's why you don't see it very often. Procedure has to be followed to the letter and dot, compensation awarded and any PS union representation dealt with as well. Few PS managers have the inclination, experience or skills to do this and it's simply not part of the PS ethos to do it.

You have to have done something seriously, seriously wrong to justify being fired or it'll just be quietly accommodated and smoothed over and forgotten about as always. Govt can afford to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Terminating employment within PS is a complete nightmare, courtesy of the T&Cs that PS has bestowed upon itself, that's why you don't see it very often. Procedure has to be followed to the letter and dot, compensation awarded and any PS union representation dealt with as well. Few PS managers have the inclination, experience or skills to do this and it's simply not part of the PS ethos to do it.

You have to have done something seriously, seriously wrong to justify being fired or it'll just be quietly accommodated and smoothed over and forgotten about as always. Govt can afford to do it.

It’s the unions who won’t agree to any change in T&Cs to allow more streamlining of process, because they know it could lead to their members getting the chop!. Same unions demanding inflation busting rises plus 2% in case any of their members may have to pay more tax! These unions are not representing nursing/medical staff, police or teachers just the vast majority of other civil servants like the legions in cabinet office, DFE ETC.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kopek said:

well that's their job isn't it. yuou wouldn't want a union to sell you down the river?

If one believes the gossip circulating on this forum, there are some workers who are dissatisfied enough to decide to leave the job and go elsewhere. Do the unions represent these people also?

• Like 1

There's at least 3 or 4 PS unions representing PS workers on the Island, Unite (the old T&G), Prospect and there's maybe 2 more representing the medical and health professions but the names escape me.

There's also the Govt. Officer's Association which is the local CS body.

6 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s the unions who won’t agree to any change in T&Cs to allow more streamlining of process, because they know it could lead to their members getting the chop!. Same unions demanding inflation busting rises plus 2% in case any of their members may have to pay more tax! These unions are not representing nursing/medical staff, police or teachers just the vast majority of other civil servants like the legions in cabinet office, DFE ETC.

It's a rather odd take to look at a situation where the problem is being caused by under-qualified and incompetent management and claim that the real problem is the unions.  And that it can be solved by giving the useless managers more power.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Looks like easyjet pulled a blinder today.

Bristol flight went tech whilst here. Plane that just operated the Manchester is on the way back here empty to take the Bristol folk.

Good to see the airline and airport working together to stay open and minimise impact to passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Looks like easyjet pulled a blinder today.

Bristol flight went tech whilst here. Plane that just operated the Manchester is on the way back here empty to take the Bristol folk.

Good to see the airline and airport working together to stay open and minimise impact to passengers.

Yes agreed that’s an example of great customer service .