Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

9 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Yes, but you do still argue like somebody that has never grown up. I suppose a life cosseted in public service will do that to you

Well I wouldn’t know if it would, because as I have previously disclosed my whole working life has been spent in the private sector. 

Not sure how this public sector myth began but I’ve never said I have been, or am,employed by the Government or any other public body.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Little bit off topic but it is curious how within ten minutes of meeting a (white) South African they will bring up the subject of how unsafe the place is and how you have to run red lights and live in gated communities etc .

I am not saying that’s untrue, but it’s in the same way an Australian upon meeting you for the first time will soon tell you about the big venemous creepy crawlies they have which will either poison you or climb up the toilet bowl to bite your buttocks.

I would like to say that is stereotyping but it happens almost without exception.

Strange considering there is no mayhem or carnage there!  

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

E_zQDvUVEAMypE7.jpeg

Remoaners ~ the referendum was 23 June 2016. Deal with it or move to the EU. Probably also think England should have won the the 1986 World Cup still. Your arguments were not persuasive enough (much like England weren't good enough) to win on the day. 

You lost by 1,269,501 votes. Has that penny dropped?

• Haha 1

The truck driver shortage has very little to do with Brexit and more to do with being in the EU!

Operators were pulling drivers at cheap rates from various countries as they paid less and less money for them. First the Poles realised they were being ripped off, then the Hungarians, Czechs, Romanians and so on. British drivers left the industry, and few would join it due to poor wages and crappy conditions, leaving only the older drivers, who are due for retirement now! This problem was highlighted several years ago, operators were aware and were too greedy to sort out their packages. They thought there would always be a supply of foreign drivers, willing to put up with rubbish pay and conditions. Even before Brexit the tide was turning against them! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

The truck driver shortage has very little to do with Brexit and more to do with being in the EU!

Operators were pulling drivers at cheap rates from various countries as they paid less and less money for them. First the Poles realised they were being ripped off, then the Hungarians, Czechs, Romanians and so on. British drivers left the industry, and few would join it due to poor wages and crappy conditions, leaving only the older drivers, who are due for retirement now! This problem was highlighted several years ago, operators were aware and were too greedy to sort out their packages. They thought there would always be a supply of foreign drivers, willing to put up with rubbish pay and conditions. Even before Brexit the tide was turning against them! 

That might be so Max, but it is obviously all down to Brexit, as is every other feverishly awaited issue that arises. Ask any Remainer. There are a few here who will be keen to out you right.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Remoaners ~ the referendum was 23 June 2016. Deal with it or move to the EU. Probably also think England should have won the the 1986 World Cup still. Your arguments were not persuasive enough (much like England weren't good enough) to win on the day. 

@CallMeCurious 

Completely and utterly wrong. I knew on the morning after the referendum that we were leaving the EU never to return.

My beef is with all those who lied, all those who broke electoral law, all the racists and all those who were so intellectually lazy they were prepared to believe simple lies because it's a lot easier than figuring out a complex truth....

12 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Does not work that way.

There was an in or out referendum in 1975.

Did the anti EEC/EU lot accept the decision?

They never stopped moaning.

You cannot deny a future generation a chance to reconsider Britain's relationship with the EU. That is just democracy for you.

Given the petrol shortages. The road back to the EU might have a fewer less obstacles.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I explained above, the fuel delivery problem has nothing to do with Brexit, but everything to do with our membership of the EU.

I beg to differ.

If the fuel delivery problem is nothing to do with the EU then why has our "government of all the shysters" quickly devised a visa fast track system to allow EU HGV drivers to sort out the shit sandwich that is brexit up until the end of Feb...?

Idiot Grant Schapps claimed the EU was a big part of the problem by issuing directives around level of training, proper rest breaks and other safety measures. He can get rid of those to process applicants quicker.

Unfortunately drivers trained to that lower level will never be able to drive in the EU with it's far better facilities that UK specific drivers can only dream about. I also suspect that with the £amount an HGV licence costs there will be fewer takers if they are restricted to GB only.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I beg to differ.

If the fuel delivery problem is nothing to do with the EU then why has our "government of all the shysters" quickly devised a visa fast track system to allow EU HGV drivers to sort out the shit sandwich that is brexit up until the end of Feb...?

Idiot Grant Schapps claimed the EU was a big part of the problem by issuing directives around level of training, proper rest breaks and other safety measures. He can get rid of those to process applicants quicker.

Unfortunately drivers trained to that lower level will never be able to drive in the EU with it's far better facilities that UK specific drivers can only dream about. I also suspect that with the £amount an HGV licence costs there will be fewer takers if they are restricted to GB only.

Just to satisfy a need, created by the influx of Eastern European drivers prepared to work, for a while, for low wages and poor conditions. They have been drifting away for more than ten years as conditions and pay got better elsewhere. The British trucking industry is to blame, not Brexit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Just to satisfy a need, created by the influx of Eastern European drivers prepared to work, for a while, for low wages and poor conditions. They have been drifting away for more than ten years as conditions and pay got better elsewhere. The British trucking industry is to blame, not Brexit.

Actually conditions have been better elsewhere for years and years.

But brexit was the deciding factor that caused an awful lot of them to finally pack it in.

Can't blame them actually...

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

@CallMeCurious 

Completely and utterly wrong. I knew on the morning after the referendum that we were leaving the EU never to return.

My beef is with all those who lied, all those who broke electoral law, all the racists and all those who were so intellectually lazy they were prepared to believe simple lies because it's a lot easier than figuring out a complex truth....

That is probably the most patronising and inaccurate post I have read for a long time, from somebody who obviously lacks the intellect to understand or appreciate the real issues that made many mature and intelligent people to vote Leave. As for the lies that were told, it is laughable and pathetic to keep hearing this from Remainers who conveniently forget the media and Government driven false predictions about the negative impacts of Brexit. This was sheer Government and big business propaganda aimed at manipulating the views of the electorate. The teething issues that are actually Brexit-related are nothing compared with the Doomsday scenarios peddled by the huge Remain machine in 2016 and which still continue to be believed, even when they didn’t actually happen, by those that have never got over the referendum result. It’s pathetic and delusional from the pathetic and deluded; exactly why it’s not worth trying to engage in rational debate with them. 

• Thanks 3