Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Those new buildings that have been passed are awful they do not fit in with the surrounding buildings at all.    Is there any action on the Duke Street development it looked horrific the last time I was in Town which is a while ago.

Went past yesterday, could hear activity on the site but couldn't see what as the hoarding completely obscures at ground level. 

Edited by Gladys
Typo

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Those new buildings that have been passed are awful they do not fit in with the surrounding buildings at all.    Is there any action on the Duke Street development it looked horrific the last time I was in Town which is a while ago.

In your opinion.i think they look fantastic. Contemporary and functional. Great architecture. Obviously not as stylish and architecturally forward looking as the old newsomes building and the cozy nook?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Happier diner said:

In your opinion.i think they look fantastic. Contemporary and functional. Great architecture. Obviously not as stylish and architecturally forward looking as the old newsomes building and the cozy nook?

Agreed and with a nice open area behind.  We really do not need reproduction Victorian (or older)  architecture, just well designed and bold new stuff.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Went past yesterday, could hear activity on the site but couldn't see what as the hoarding completely obscures at ground level. 

Crazy Dave making very small rocks out of very big ones and moving holes around.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The Villiers development looks superb.

IMG_0870.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

If you walk from promenade side there seems to be plenty of workmen on site doing the steel work.

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Ah the old make the new stuff look like the shit they were chucking up cheaply over a century ago shout 

It's been holding the Island back for decades.

• Thanks 1

Genuinely the best thing about the new development is that it's modern and not crappy mock-Victoriana. 

It's a good start and hopefully over time (decades) we'll see other buildings designed to look like they were built in the early 21st Century and not 1824. 

Not a huge fan of the taxpayer funding contribution. But if it finally gets the site developed then that will be something.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, asitis said:

It looked run down then, it just looks worse now !

I just thought that it gave a bit of an insight as to what's actually under the render and years of whitewash/white paint.

Get it dropped.

• Like 3