Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

A competitive salary that increases each 12 months until you reach the salary maximum.

And this is why we are in the state we are in. Not a hint of performance review to earn the salary increase so jsut keep your seat warm fella and you'll be quids in.

Much like the mad rush for departments to spend every last penny of the budget before April 5th so they don't 'lose' out on the next years budget. Not exactly encouraging them to save taxpayers money is it.

The annual incremental rise is supposed to be performance related for civil servants. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Yes, it's incredibly common.

It's probably just you...

The David Brent hiring technique:

"The first thing to do is take half of the cv's and throw them in the bin.

"After all, you don't want to hire unlucky people..."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woolley said:

It's utter gibberish too. "The Isle of Man Public Service is committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates."

What does that mean? Do they have frequent parties to celebrate?

"Your candidate experience is important to us." 

What a pile of bullshit.

Government shitspeak we call it, it is disrespectful imho, verbal camouflage. Lessons have not been learned. 🤔

Re The Airport, "Corporatise" is new to me, is that not just shitspeak for privatise?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The annual incremental rise is supposed to be performance related for civil servants. 

Afraid that boat sailed many many moons ago, hence why you have Brian/Barbara,Joyce/Jonathan or whom ever they might. Failed putting kettle on, changing toner cartridge. Have risen through the ranks due to the fact of longevity ie been there 25 year, are now in charge of 12 people and are on a salary of £ 50,000 + / year and still can not change the toner cartridge or actually know what they are suppose to do. Underlings control the dept so giving themselves cushy time at work and the head goes along with what they are told because it is so much easier. Head has meetings galore with other like minded head of departments all supplied with crib sheets containing buzz words such as interdepartmental, consolidations, forecasting, utter bollocks. Every one comes away happy not a sodding thing done, you would hope that I'm being facetious. How many of these meetings heads/team leaders actually amount to anything, all a nice fairy story for bedtime. I wish it was.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mollag said:

Re The Airport, "Corporatise" is new to me, is that not just shitspeak for privatise?

It's a halfway house designed to combine the worse aspects of the public and private sectors.  The MEA under Proffitt was the classic example here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Afraid that boat sailed many many moons ago, hence why you have Brian/Barbara,Joyce/Jonathan or whom ever they might. Failed putting kettle on, changing toner cartridge. Have risen through the ranks due to the fact of longevity ie been there 25 year, are now in charge of 12 people and are on a salary of £ 50,000 + / year and still can not change the toner cartridge or actually know what they are suppose to do. Underlings control the dept so giving themselves cushy time at work and the head goes along with what they are told because it is so much easier. Head has meetings galore with other like minded head of departments all supplied with crib sheets containing buzz words such as interdepartmental, consolidations, forecasting, utter bollocks. Every one comes away happy not a sodding thing done, you would hope that I'm being facetious. How many of these meetings heads/team leaders actually amount to anything, all a nice fairy story for bedtime. I wish it was.   

I didn't say it was a good system or that it worked. I just said that there was a system and any incremental rises have to be approved. 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I didn't say it was a good system or that it worked. I just said that there was a system and any incremental rises have to be approved. 

The fact that Nick Black made it to the top of the DOI tells everybody all they need to know about the system.

Or that Reynolds, Spake and Longworth were retained for as long as they were.

Or the numbers of others who have pushed their wheelbarrows off into the sunset at the taxpayers considerable expense.

Who actually undertakes such ongoing career assessments?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The fact that Nick Black made it to the top of the DOI tells everybody all they need to know about the system.

Or that Reynolds, Spake and Longworth were retained for as long as they were.

Or the numbers of others who have pushed their wheelbarrows off into the sunset at the taxpayers considerable expense.

Who actually undertakes such ongoing career assessments?

I don't think he got to the top by increments 😄

The Registry certainly at one time seemed to be a hotbed of over promotion beyond worth and capability. Leave school with a handful of CSEs and/or O'levels and shuffle all the way to the top, the bank and early retirement.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:01 AM, Dirty Buggane said:

Afraid that boat sailed many many moons ago, hence why you have Brian/Barbara,Joyce/Jonathan or whom ever they might. Failed putting kettle on, changing toner cartridge. Have risen through the ranks due to the fact of longevity ie been there 25 year, are now in charge of 12 people and are on a salary of £ 50,000 + / year and still can not change the toner cartridge or actually know what they are suppose to do. 

Barbara is now head of external affairs. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/property/hotel-and-pub-for-sale-is-unique-opportunity-on-famous-tt-course-669992

Sulby Glen up for sale. Can't see them beating the crowds back to purchase this

It's a fairly busy and popular place (every time I've been there). I'd guess some TT/MGP mad rich comeover might well go for it.