Firm closing

finlo

Both Ronrico and Karma had long stints here.  We went to see one, Karma I think, at the Royalty in Walpole Ave.  My big brother volunteered and was disappointed that he wasn't hypnotised.  He practised on me so many times trying to hypnotise me to fall back with just a gentle tap on the shoulders, but that wasn't going to happen!

This was the same brother who convinced me, to the point I didn't sleep that night, that he had concocted a lethal poison  from his chemistry set.  The main component was copper sulphate. 😉

I drank in a bar that Josef Karma used, a nice chap but we had a Mate there who some swine had convinced that if you made eye contact with him, you would end up buying his drinks all night, even if you made contact through the mirror behind the bar, ah, such fun we had  😁

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Michael Levine Decorative Arts to close it Douglas store after 35 years.

I have never heard of the place.  In The Peter Luis building apparently, which I must have walked past thousands, is not tens of thousands of times.

Mike, and his parents, who traded as Aylmer Levine, before him, have sold Manx paintings, Liberty Tudric ( especially Knox ) along with Art Nouveau/Arts & Craft/Secession pottery, metal ware and glass, from the Peter Luis basement. Always had a ground floor window display on Duke Street.

He's trading on line, going forward, until he finds suitable bricks & mortar premises.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Old news.  Was reported weeks ago.

It also was a shop with very strange customer service.

Announced today. Announced weeks ago they were trying to sell it . Sale didn’t happen and announced today closing 

The Post Office in Port Erin is being taken over by mannin retail, so maybe that'll become a spar.

Erin News was for sale a while back, so I guess they couldn't find a buyer. Its a shame. 

All there will be in the future is just tesco and amazon. Shite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manxman1234 said:

Announced today. Announced weeks ago they were trying to sell it . Sale didn’t happen and announced today closing 

Ah fair enough.

They were never going to find a buyer though. So it’s not unexpected.

Apologies for the duff information 

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The Post Office in Port Erin is being taken over by mannin retail, so maybe that'll become a spar.

Erin News was for sale a while back, so I guess they couldn't find a buyer. Its a shame. 

Post office will also be a spar, suppose Erin news knew that spar sell newspapers, tobacco, lottery tickets etc and are open until late every night so too much competition.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

And well run and interesting independent shops.

People need to be offering an experience, not just something Tesco or Amazon can do cheaper.

Ramsay is actually doing this really well at the moment.  

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 2