More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

5 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

I’m happy that people can pick holes in anything published it’s a free world. If you don’t like it that’s fine the internet has 5 Billions other sites. What I’m trying to do is work out how the terms and conditions of this site work as I don’t want to be linked, or for it to be publicly inferred that I’m linked, to anything I don’t post as I’m slowly trying to monetize the site. In the absence of any clear data controller as required under GDPR if this site is holding traceable personal data I’d have thought any tracking or monitoring would purely be used to manage potential legal problems if ever approached by a third party and that’s it. To even suggest that accounts might be linked seems to breach at least two of the forums own terms and conditions. 

Traceable personal data?   That’s not an IP address.

As for monetising your shite 😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think you have an overblown sense of your own importance.

Thanks I’ll have a look through your many insightful posts on here when I next have a chance. I don’t have any sense of importance at all it’s just that as a legally qualified person I’m struggling with how made up terms and conditions work between users and admins. 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Port Soderick Herald said:

Thanks I’ll have a look through your many insightful posts on here when I next have a chance. I don’t have any sense of importance at all it’s just that as a legally qualified person I’m struggling with how made up terms and conditions work between users and admins. 

I don't see what your problem is here.

Did you admit the link that someone posted to 'your site' was you yourself under your own member name? How else would anyone know it's you otherwise?

In terms of accounts being suspended, no moderators are linking anything other than the same IP being used at the same time for multiple accounts. That's all we see. That's not allowed under the T&Cs...it's called flooding. And it was several accounts using the same IP on multiple threads...not this one. And the reason (moderators see IP addresses) is clearly explained in the T&Cs YOU signed up to.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don't see what your problem is here.

Did you admit the link that someone posted to 'your site' was you yourself under your own member name? How else would anyone know it's you otherwise?

In terms of accounts being suspended, no moderators are linking anything other than the same IP being used at the same time for multiple accounts. That's all we see. That's not allowed under the T&Cs...it's called flooding. And it was several accounts using the same IP on multiple threads...not this one. And the reason (moderators see IP addresses) is clearly explained in the T&Cs YOU signed up to.

A legally qualified person would not refer to 'made up' T&Cs.  That is generally what T&Cs are.

6 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

I think you’re over analysing, you’re also making wrong assumptions and leaps of logic.

MF has an owner, webmaster, admin and moderators. Because of its size and nature it isn’t required to notify to the IC, but it is required to observe GDPR requirements. 

The T&C set out the terms on which people are allowed to post.

Apart from those of us who post using our own names MF doesn’t process any identifiable data. It holds sign up e-Mail addresses and the IP address used to make.every post. Every e-Mail, FB or social media post is the same, although some may be inaccessible due to encryption.

Obviously some people will post using a public WiFi system and that IP May be shared by dozens of posters. Other posters may use multiple devices or locations, so their IP May change. Others may post from one device and one location.

For the owner, webmaster, admin and mods to discharge their function the clearly have access to that info. So, let’s say someone has been abusive, there’s been a complaint, doesn’t need to be defamation, or criminal, there will be occasions when it’s necessary to look who else posts using a particular IP. That’s especially so when some members seem to have three, four, more posting identities, set up new ones if suspended, or have parachute accounts. Checking those isn’t stalking, it’s basic good management/housekeeping.

As for someone posting a link to one of your blogs, or your website, anyone can do that, to anywhere. Not sure what your beef would be.

• Thanks 2

An IP is allocated PER device connected to a router. You might be at home or in a pub...but routers allocate a range of IP addresses. You will never have the same IP as someone else at home or in the same pub (first 9 numbers maybe, but never the last 3).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

An IP is allocated PER device connected to a router. You might be at home or in a pub...but routers allocate a range of IP addresses. You will never have the same IP as someone else at home or in the same pub (first 9 numbers maybe, but never the last 3).

Are you stalking me?

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You might want to check that, because it’s codswallop

All devices attached to my router have different IP addresses on the internal network.

As far as the outside world is concerned all traffic comes from the same IP.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You might want to check that, because it’s codswallop

All devices attached to my router have different IP addresses on the internal network.

As far as the outside world is concerned all traffic comes from the same IP.

Bollox.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Obviously some people will post using a public WiFi system and that IP May be shared by dozens of posters. Other posters may use multiple devices or locations, so their IP May change. Others may post from one device and one location.

For the owner, webmaster, admin and mods to discharge their function the clearly have access to that info. So, let’s say someone has been abusive, there’s been a complaint, doesn’t need to be defamation, or criminal, there will be occasions when it’s necessary to look who else posts using a particular IP. That’s especially so when some members seem to have three, four, more posting identities, set up new ones if suspended, or have parachute accounts. Checking those isn’t stalking, it’s basic good management/housekeeping.

As for someone posting a link to one of your blogs, or your website, anyone can do that, to anywhere. Not sure what your beef would be.

That clarifies better thanks. As to my basic beef (it’s more of a slight concern really) it would be that if I build a monetization structure for a website with a clearly published email address (and IP) and then some moderator here might then publish a rather vindictive post that says ‘but look at the awful stuff this person also posted via other accounts’ this might then cause demonetization for myself if anyone read the post even though it might simply be a case of someone just using the same public wifi connection as me to post (or even someone just using the same off the peg restricted channel VPN package as me, or in fact an admin just making something up) as that would basically be a lie that might then impact on my income. I just wanted to clear that up as the terms and conditions are clear, but the way that they appear to be applied seem to be totally arbitrary. It seems a moderator can choose to break them when they choose but maybe not a user.

Edited by The Port Soderick Herald

On 6/9/2023 at 3:08 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I see. Or should I say IP?

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

These two posts from a mod are actually quite concerning if that is why those accounts were all banned.

Just to be clear, I am glad they were all banned.

However.  If the block was based on IP then they could for example all be people at the airport, or all people who work for the same business or at the same restaurant.

@Albert Tatlock there are many ways of viewing your own publicly visible IP address.

One is https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Try it from different devices attached to your router and you will get the same answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1