Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

On 4/8/2023 at 5:18 PM, x-in-man said:

In case you have forgotten - including you Stu.

'Patronage, not patronising! I seek to represent the huge number of people in Middle who are tired of being glibly patronised by the people we employ to serve us.'  

No change there then.

'Scrutiny, not ‘screw you’! If elected I will not seek a departmental role. I believe we need more robust fully-independent scrutiny of an out-of-control executive and civil service.'

Screwed us then.

Do we really have to wait until 2026?

Perhaps he'll tell us in the video updates he promised while campaigning, the last one was almost a year ago.

I wouldn't have voted for Stu had he been in my constituency and despaired when the people of Middle returned him.

Not even I though could have predicted the complete transformation from everything he said he stood for to completely ineffectual Government nodding dog in such a short time. Even in the face of very stiff competition, his departure from what he claimed he would be to falling into line and collecting the better part of half a million for doing little or nothing for five years (save for occasionally defending his paymasters) has been particularly spectacular.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The problem I have with road tax here is that in the UK if you get higher rate mobility you are exempt from road tax even if you are not the registered keeper, so in the UK because my husband drives me around he used to get the exemption, here you have to be the registered keeper! Which mad considering many disabled including myself don't drive. I suppose asking for parity with the UK is too much to ask. 

26 minutes ago, CATHYJAY said:

The problem I have with road tax here is that in the UK if you get higher rate mobility you are exempt from road tax even if you are not the registered keeper, so in the UK because my husband drives me around he used to get the exemption, here you have to be the registered keeper! Which mad considering many disabled including myself don't drive. I suppose asking for parity with the UK is too much to ask. 

Change the car into your name. Your husband can still insure and drive it.
Problem solved.

2 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Having had dealings with the arrogant twat round my way for parking his cars round here, (probably because he had far too many round at his) - good. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Having had dealings with the arrogant twat round my way for parking his cars round here, (probably because he had far too many round at his) - good. 

I actively avoided his taxi. It stank, he refused card payment and would drive you to an ATM and you had to put up with his supercilious attitude.

Good indeed. If he's not already given up the taxi trade, they should take his licence away. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Good indeed. If he's not already given up the taxi trade, they should take his licence away. 

According to Farcebook he stopped back in Feb.  But he was looking for a drive in March.

I'm sure I saw him messing with an un-taxed English reg van that was threatened with removal last month.  It's taxed now but just left on the side of the road.  It probably won't get Manx registered like that Range Rover he owns on English plates he has left by mine on several occasions.

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

Change the car into your name. Your husband can still insure and drive it.
Problem solved.

not sure that will work,  the tax can only be issued to the owner who must have valid insurance,  i doubt without a drivers licence you could get insurance in the first place.

18 minutes ago, WTF said:

not sure that will work,  the tax can only be issued to the owner who must have valid insurance,  i doubt without a drivers licence you could get insurance in the first place.

Tax is issued to the registered keeper, whoever pays it, and you can insure a vehicle you don’t own, although you should note the interest of the owner.

The log book is no proof of ownership, a leased vehicle is owned by the leasing company, but registered and insured in the name of the renter.

• Like 2

Nit picking I know but if the able bodied person has use of the vehicle, say, to go to work daily, then perhaps that person should pay a % of the tax?

However, working out that % would be an admin nightmare and so a blanket exemption would be easier.

As I said, nit picking but I'm sure many of us have seen abuse of the Blue Badge situation?

General observation, not aimed at Cathy Jay above.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 3:18 PM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Martin Moore fined yet again for no vehicle licence. The man's a menace. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/taxi-driver-fined-over-car-tax-

On 4/12/2024 at 5:24 PM, x-in-man said:

again/?fbclid=IwAR3ve21kF_t5txRj8oMzIA3FfPrbiFbUjXTFTiGzYMhJByFg0CJZyXakJww

And again?? https://archive.is/ZF26v

• Like 1

Any person who has 30+ convictions for vehicle offences is displaying a complete contempt for the rules regarding vehicle ownership and driving that everyone else is obliged to follow. The courts should have the power to rescind the driving licence of the offender in such circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1