Promenade at Night

Max Power

I know we have a long thread about the promenade, but mainly about costs and cock ups.

Well, this is about a huge cock up I guess! Has anyone noticed how dismal, grim and dark the prom at night time is now, even during the TT and with the fair in place? 

I know the festoon lighting was a bit old hat, and probably doesn't match the airy daytime feel of the new look prom, but we have actually lost something which I believe helped to make Douglas an interesting and jolly place to be for your holidays, or just for a nice evening stroll or drive?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I know we have a long thread about the promenade, but mainly about costs and cock ups.

Well, this is about a huge cock up I guess! Has anyone noticed how dismal, grim and dark the prom at night time is now, even during the TT and with the fair in place? 

I know the festoon lighting was a bit old hat, and probably doesn't match the airy daytime feel of the new look prom, but we have actually lost something which I believe helped to make Douglas an interesting and jolly place to be for your holidays, or just for a nice evening stroll or drive?  

It’s a good thread and you have raised a valuable point (s). Some on here won’t be happy at another thread criticising IOMG.

Using LEDs is hardly criticising the Govt, they are the new technology and use less juice!

A sub topic could be, 'should ratepayers, pay for street lighting??? Afterall, it's there for everyone to benefit from.

Apart from Bride people who still bring candles or oil lamps when they come to Douglas!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

This is the DoI's idea of promoting the IoM as a place to visit - a roundabout with a lampost in the middle. The kind of thing that is featured in endless travel brochures.

DTL_00001.thumb.jpg.58f403054f457c7caf4a58b59718d41f.jpg

I find it entertaining that some people expect the DoI to do everything from toilets to holidays and then wonder why it's dysfunctional (and also moan about government headcount). Surely it's a webcam of the road so people know whether the prom is backed up or not, not for the fervent tourist trade?

They should do less and then they could do a more effective role with less people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Using LEDs is hardly criticising the Govt, they are the new technology and use less juice!

A sub topic could be, 'should ratepayers, pay for street lighting??? Afterall, it's there for everyone to benefit from.

Apart from Bride people who still bring candles or oil lamps when they come to Douglas!!!

Well I'm hardly surprised, they need them to navigate the promenade!

They may be LEDs but they can be in several incantations, even festoons! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Max you are correct the lighting on Douglas prom is dreadful and it only illuminates  the sea side of the road , in the winter you need a torch to find your way along queens promenade , Given Ian Clague   who I personally rate as the former head of the corporation electricity  department is a councillor , I cant think what has happened , or gone wrong with the lights which also look completely out of keeping  with the rest of the traditional  victorian/Edwardian street scape 

it is dull and dark down there   and does nothing to enhance  the place as a holiday destination , 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The promenade looks dark and miserable , so many people locals and holiday makers have remarked about it on social media a good deal.    This is entirely down to the last Douglas Town Council who voted to get rid of the lovely lights that illuminated the promenade for years it was a unanimous vote with the exception of Raina Chatel I think David Christian was the council leader .   This was to save money apparently, a false economy in a lot of people’s eyes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1