Island Games 2029

46 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We could put them up in our homeless shelter. Oh no, hang on a minute - Chris Thomas is sorting that out, he'll probably still be talking bollocks about it in 2029 with nothing achieved.

Chris Thomas will probably be a MLC by then or an ex MHK. I can’t see the voters of Douglas Central voting him back in again. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has a confident CM Cannan saying that IOMG has submitted a bid for the Island Games to be held on the island in 2029. He predicts over 4000 visitors and over £3.5million into the local economy.

A lot of work needs to be done before anything could happen. The infrastructure is a mess, and if there are a lack of hotel beds, what will the authorities do? Tents? Hardly conducive for athletes want to achieve their optimal goals? Another thing which concerns me, is the island was supposed to have been awarded the games in 2027. Did this fall through? 

Im sure if the games were held again on this island, it will be a success, but this is down to the athletes, the game’s officials and sports administrators, as opposed to the IOMG hangers on. 

10 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We could put them up in our homeless shelter. Oh no, hang on a minute - Chris Thomas is sorting that out, he'll probably still be talking bollocks about it in 2029 with nothing achieved.

Or.... it will be a five star resort with a pool and heliport.  These things tend to go one way or the other. 

• Like 1

Personally, I would bloody love us to win the bid for 2029. I'm currently at the Island Games in Guernsey and the impact on their island can clearly be seen. All accomodation is booked solid and the Islanders are loving any interaction with competitors (even if in the queue at M&S or the general "tourist" things).

Think of it this way, it's like having a second TT in the year. That can only be a good thing for tourism.

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

Personally, I would bloody love us to win the bid for 2029. I'm currently at the Island Games in Guernsey and the impact on their island can clearly be seen. All accomodation is booked solid and the Islanders are loving any interaction with competitors (even if in the queue at M&S or the general "tourist" things).

Think of it this way, it's like having a second TT in the year. That can only be a good thing for tourism.

I like the sentiment and I agree. It's never going to be a second TT though. It's not on the same scale by some margin, but then it doesnt cost anything like the same to host it.  Its a good thing for tourism 

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

I can't see anyone else bidding to host it.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:42 PM, 2112 said:

CM Cannan says it’s estimated to inject £3.5million into the economy, how much will it cost to hold the island games? 

Why do you have to ask such an awkward question? We the GMP are not permitted to question the 'big ideas' we're just supposed to pay for them and be grateful. And keep on paying for them even when they turn into a 'big mistake'. Especially when it comes the God of Sports and Tourism.

You just know they'll rob the reserve to pay for it anyway so they don't care about the cost. It's ego-nomics not economics.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Why do you have to ask such an awkward question? We the GMP are not permitted to question the 'big ideas' we're just supposed to pay for them and be grateful. And keep on paying for them even when they turn into a 'big mistake'. Especially when it comes the God of Sports and Tourism.

You just know they'll rob the reserve to pay for it anyway so they don't care about the cost. It's ego-nomics not economics.

It’s not just the costs of the games which if they are of benefit (to islanders, hoteliers, retailers and sportspeople) to the island, then fine, but as I have said previously, IOMG have a poor track record of both general maintenance on facilities, and when they came to the islands NSC swimming pool, especially the flumes the expense and time spent was uncontrolled.