Africa House

cheesypeas

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Best thing for it to be demolished before the fire, it’s a prime site & should be developed ASAP. Ideal for key workers apartments 

I doubt that the owner would have built key worker apartments. Africa House is/was an asset of value. 

2 minutes ago, TacoBelle said:

@Gladys I’d love to know more. My grandparents bought it in the 70s (Lilian and Leonard Baines) before my father lived there and took it over. I would love to know more.  Best wishes, Charley 

There isn't much more I can tell, really.  My Gran didn't live there when I knew the place although she owned it and had lived there when mum was a teenager.   I don't think she sold it directly to your father's family, I seem to recall there was another owner in between. 

She probably sold it for  what would now be thought of as a pittance, but at that time, these big properties were more of a liability than an asset. Not least they needed staff to keep them running! 

You will know the property much better than me, but I do remember a magical garden (a wood really), lots of 'secret' places, and a very impressive entrance hall with a lovely staircase. 

The entrance was roughly where the entrance to the Mormon Temple is now with a long drive to the door. 

It has always had a special place in my Mum's heart because she loved the naturalness of the garden and could indulge her love of nature.  I think she was happy while living there, in an otherwise unhappy family.  I can say that now because they have all passed on and it won't upset. 

• Like 3